Principle purposes of the job:
To deliver and support services including:
- provision of child focused play/educational activities to support development
- parental guidance to support child development
- to work alongside scheme Manager and Senior Coordinator in the planning and delivery of 1-1 support within family homes
- To work within Home-Start’s standards and methods of practice including Equal Opportunities, Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children, Confidentiality and all mandatory policies.
- Work in close co-operation with the scheme staff as directed by the scheme Manager/Senior Coordinator
- Work in partnership with other family support agencies, as appropriate
- Assess the needs of individuals
- Review family’s needs on a regular basis and at the end of support.
- To maintain contact with individual referrers during a family’s support
- To provide a safe, stimulating environment for children and their parents
- To make observations, record and report on sessions
- To encourage the active participation of parents/carers in their child’s play and other activities as appropriate
- To provide opportunities for external agencies to offer advice/information to families
- To promote the use of suitable toys, books and activities and encourage the use of local resources e.g. Toy Library, Library and Children & Family Centres
- To complete a Risk Assessment where necessary
- To respond, record and report appropriately all Safeguarding Children/Child Protection issues
- To promote the work of Home-Start
- To be willing to undertake training as appropriate, including safeguarding/child protection.
- To attend regular supervision sessions
- To regularly attend and contribute to staff Meetings
- Design and deliver bespoke and library sessions to families in order to meet their specific needs.
- To deliver infant massage/baby yoga group sessions (full training will be provided if required)
About Home-Start Birmingham North West
Home-Start Birmingham North West aims to safeguard and preserve the good mental and physical health of children and their parents. To prevent cruelty to, or maltreatment of children, relieve sickness and reduce poverty. To assist parents to build better lives for their children in their own communities.
Volunteers provide support to families in the families own home. We support families as they learn to cope, improve confidence and reduce risk of problems within the families from escalating. We tailor our support to the needs of the family, using a holistic approach to all support. We empower and enable families to make long term positive changes.