Hope for the Young aims to remove the obstacles to young refugees and asylum-seekers’ education and well-being through financial and mentoring support.
Our Mentoring Project matches young refugees and asylum-seekers with Volunteer Mentors who provide tailored 1-1 support and advice for at least 6 months. Mentors teach the young people English, build their confidence and levels of trust, reduce their isolation and increase their academic potential. For those suffering from mental health problems, they provide emotional and practical support that creates stability and helps them adapt and settle into life in the UK.
Our Education Fund aims to support young people who, due to their immigration status, have no access to student loans to support them with their education. We provide grants, living allowances, and travel expenses to assist those to access education.
We are currently recruiting an Admin Volunteer to support our growing projects. We are small team of three and are going through an exciting period of expansion. We are therefore looking for somebody who can assist our team with the administration required to deliver both our projects successfully. Tasks will vary depending on need at the time but are likely to include the following:
- Support our Project Coordinators with the administration required to run the two projects as required
- Enter key service user and volunteer information into our spreadsheets and database when young people are referred to us
- Ensure all mentoring and education fund files and session feedback forms are up to date
- Research, organise and scan useful resources to create an excellent resource library for our volunteers
- Write up mentoring reviews and evaluation forms onto our database
- Monitor and respond to incoming emails/enquiries as required
- Send out a bi-weekly email to all mentors with activities for their mentees
- Carry out a number of other supporting tasks as required
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to handle enquiries and correspondence in a friendly, professional manner
- A minimum of basic computer skills with the ability and confidence to perform online searches
- Competent in Excel and Word with the ability to accurately record service user’s details
- Flexibility and ability to carry out a range of admin tasks as required
- Comfortable working as part of a team with a willingness to get stuck in
- A passion and enthusiasm for the organisation’s work
What we offer
- Experience of working in a small charity
- The opportunity to make a real contribution to our work by working on a variety of tasks
- Training and support
- References for future employers
- Reimbursement for travel and lunch expenses
- This role requires the volunteer to use their own computer
- This role will be based in our offices in Bermondsey in London
- Full training in the programmes relevant to the role will be given, and the Head of Programmes will be on hand at all times for support & supervision
- The position is 7 hours / one day a week and the hours can be allocated throughout the week in whichever way works best for the volunteer
If you are passionate about helping vulnerable people achieve their full potential and believe you have what it takes to be a dedicated Admin Volunteer for Hope for the Young, we would love to hear from you!
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to volunteer for Hope for the Young by 18th October 2019.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.