We have a terrific opportunity for an experienced PR professional to join the Public Affairs and Policy Team. This is a unique opportunity and based on your experience offers the flexibility of a choice of working arrangements.
Humanists UK punches significantly above its weight in terms of media coverage. In recent years we’ve achieved substantial coverage on a wide variety of topics. This extends occasionally to frontpage broadsheet coverage, to segments on Today and primetime BBC News, and, more regularly, to a big splash across the papers.
Does it appeal to you to work somewhere where you really care about the issues you’re focused on?
Perhaps you like working somewhere where those issues are themselves diverse – everything from key human rights campaigns to human interest, service-focused stories?
Or maybe you simply like being able to generate regular coverage in national publications. If any of these are true, then we might be the right place for you?
What you’ll be doing
- Monitoring coverage around issues engaging the interests of Humanists UK.
- Making sure Humanists UK responds to relevant news, at speed if necessary, including through letters to editors, press releases, opinion pieces, and contacting individual journalists or correspondents.
- Proactively generate stories across all relevant areas of Humanists UK work, from policy areas to community services, including features and human interest stories. This includes writing and distributing press releases and website news items as required.
- Build, maintain, and develop Humanists UK’s relationships with relevant journalists and other media professionals including sectoral media relating to Humanists UK’s policy areas and its community services, e.g. education and health.
- Work with the Communications and Development team on coordinated campaigns across Humanists UK’s channels.
Who we’re looking for:
- Excellent writing skills and be a confident speaker.
- Experience placing stories for the causes you work for and working at speed to react to events with timely responses.
- Experience in developing messaging and excellent organisational skills.
- A good team player able to liaise with other members of staff and commitment to the campaigning aims of Humanists UK.
More detailed information can be found in the Press Manager application pack. And, if you want to apply please complete the application form and return it to HR.
Applications close at 09:00 on Tuesday 7 June. If you want to discuss the role prior to applying please email the recruiting manager Richy Thompson, details are in the applicatin pack downloadable from this website. Please do not email applications here. Please note we do not accept CV’s or cover letters as these will not be read.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.