Do you have advocacy skills and experience of networking and lobbying international organisations in urban development? Do you have a passion for dog welfare? Then join our internationally recognised and respected organisation at an exciting point in our development.
We are seeking an experienced consultant to help us shape and implement our global advocacy program for dogs. At ICAM, we strongly believe that some Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) cannot be achieved by 2030 without putting in place policies and programs for humane management of dog populations. As such, we are in the process of initiating an influencing strategy targeted at global health and urban development stakeholders to recognise Dog Population Management (DPM) as a contributor to sustainable development.
We have established a strategy and action plan and now need to drive forward the next external facing phase, including building relationships with influential stakeholders in the field of urban development. The next two years will focus on mainstreaming the important contribution of DPM in achieving SDG 3 (Health) and SDG 11 (Sustainable cities and communities). We are waiting to hear your proposal for developing and driving forward this advocacy strategy in collaboration with our international coalition of DPM experts.
Role Title: Advocacy Consultant
Hours: Negotiable, full or part-time
Contract length: 2 years with potential to renew for further years
Payment: 60,000 GBP per year FTE
Consultant selection process: We are accepting CVs plus a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and how you would approach the first few months of a new advocacy role. Successful proposals will be followed by interview.
Start date: As soon as possible following consultant selection.
Reports to: ICAM Director (and functionally to ICAM Chair)
About ICAM: The International Companion Animal Management (ICAM) Coalition is membership organisation that supports the development and use of humane and effective companion animal population management worldwide. Our vision is of a world where companion animals and human populations live together harmoniously. We are a registered charity (CIO Association) with the Charity Commission of England and Wales.
The position: We are looking for an experienced advocate and communication professional to work with our Director, Board of Trustees and ICAM members to lead the development and coordination of our advocacy work to ensure influential global stakeholders understand DPM’s contribution towards achieving different SDGs. As an advocacy expert, the consultant will also be a first-class communicator and convener and with sound knowledge of UN and other international institutions particularly in relation to urban development. A seasoned tactician in advocacy, the consultant will help us in developing and implementing the advocacy strategy and plan. Familiarity with DPM would be beneficial but is not required; as an internationally recognised and respected organisation in the field of DPM, ICAM is able perfectly positioned to support an advocacy consultant with the necessary DPM expertise.
- Experience in advocacy and/ or external affairs management at the international level
- Excellent communication and networking skills, including at the highest levels of decision-making Knowledge and experience of the urban development sector
● To co-lead the implementation and monitoring of advocacy strategy and plan for mainstreaming DPM within SDGs – in particular, SDG 11 on developing resilient and safe urban communities for all.
● Use insight into the UN system to inform ICAM’s advocacy targets and actions.
● In consultation with the Director, initiate strategic relations with key identified stakeholders within the urban development community and introduce/engage the Director, trustees and ICAM members as and when required.
● Effective management of relationships with these stakeholders.
● In consultation with Director, identify key external events and opportunities critical for engaging and influencing target stakeholders; and where agreed, represent ICAM in these events.
● Propose and organize events and side events in identified important global events - either as ICAM or as part of collaborative effort with other institutions and NGOs.
● Lead the development of campaign assets (reports, infographics, videos, etc) designed to target the interests of key stakeholders.
● Identify gaps in evidence of the importance of DPM to sustainable development and work with ICAM colleagues to fill these gaps and communicate them to a wider public or professional audience.
● Co-lead the development of ICAM's position on various topics within urban development.
● Support Director to engage ICAM members in development and implementation of advocacy strategies and work plan, to maximise their supporting actions and communicate progress to share with their supporters and donors.
● Identify potential partnership with other coalitions, organisations, trade bodies, corporates relevant to our goals and objectives.
● Maintain continuous and effective communication with the director ensuring timely reporting of engagement with stakeholders.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.