IDEMS International is looking for software developers to work on a variety of exciting projects with high social impact and global reach. Our immediate priority is to recruit an experienced developer in Django/Wagtail and Python.
IDEMS (Innovations in Development, Education and the Mathematical Sciences) International Community Interest Company has an expanding range of software development projects, focused on social impact, across diverse technology stacks. We are looking for software developers to join our team under flexible full-time and part-time positions. We are also recruiting for a specific project, which is described further below.
IDEMS is a young, growing, social enterprise, registered as a not-for-profit community interest company. We have academic roots and aspirations of global impact. Our work is extremely varied, including software development, consultancy in the mathematical sciences to support development projects and education projects, particularly in Africa. Our areas of impact include agriculture, social development, school and university education and climate change. We are transitioning to move beyond consultancy and towards service-oriented business models.
We are expanding and expect to recruit multiple candidates through the course of 2021. We are looking for candidates with:
- Experience working in a software development team, including mentoring others, and the ability to work simultaneously on diverse projects in different development environments and programming languages.
- An interest in developing open source solutions to high standards for low resource environments and the ability to support such efforts remotely using standard tools (such as GitHub).
- A desire to work in international development and the ability to support our partner teams in Africa.
- A passion for capacity building and the ability to work patiently with young, inexperienced developers starting with low skill sets.
- A willingness to prioritise wellbeing over wealth and the ability to accept terms benchmarked on university rather than commercial rates.
IDEMS offers permanent staff fully flexible working terms but expects all staff to act responsibly with respect to their workload and company finances. We also have mechanisms to work with people on a part-time, contract and volunteer basis.
We are looking for permanent staff members who would start on a trial basis. Appointments would be expected to contribute to some of our existing projects which use a range of technologies including:
- VB NET
Staff members would also be able to manage their own projects, either by bringing existing work commitments with them or creating new ones. This would simply require the projects to align with IDEMS principles and not have negative financial implications for IDEMS. IDEMS is putting structures in place that give profitable staff members a say in how their surpluses are used for reinvestment and support of our community.
Informal enquiries are welcome at: enquiries ( at ) idems (dot) international
Immediately, we are looking to recruit an experienced developer for a specific project beginning in early 2021, who could quickly integrate into our team and can work on tight timelines for demanding clients. The project has the potential to impact millions of low resource internet users across the world and is related to the broader Covid-19 response, hence the urgency.
We are looking for candidates with:
- 10+ years software development experience
- 2+ years developing solutions using the Django web framework
- experience developing custom solutions for Wagtail CMS
- the ability to quickly slot into an existing team and immediately contribute to the project
- the ability to contribute to high level conceptualisation and software architecture decisions
- the ability to combine rapid implementation with forward and backward compatibility considerations
Such candidates should expect a salary equivalent to the Grade 7 to Grade 8 range on the University of Oxford pay scales (£32,817 - £54,131). Candidates with less experience could also be considered in the Grade 6 range (from £29,176). IDEMS offers a generous, university-style pension scheme which matches 8% employee contributions with 18% employer contributions.
Please include a CV and covering letter in your application.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.