Impetus transforms the lives of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by ensuring they get the right support to succeed in school, in work and in life.
We find, fund and build the most promising charities working with these young people, providing core funding and working shoulder-to-shoulder with their leaders to help them become stronger organisations.
In partnership with other funders we help our charities expand and we influence policy and decision makers so that all young people get the support they need.
We work with over 20 charity partners and employ approximately 40 people..
About this role
This is an important role based in a busy Operations team which covers office management, information technology, finance and human resources. The team play a key role in supporting the organisation to achieve its mission of supporting young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to succeed.
The primary focus of the role will be finance. This is an interesting and broad role and will include a full range of work on our accounting system. Your key objective is to ensure the accounting system is up-to-date and accurate and that transactions are recorded correctly on it. You will play an important part in maintaining strong financial controls and helping staff across the organisation with finance.
The finance team comprises the Director of Finance and Operations and the Finance and IT Manager. Payroll is supervised by the HR and Learning Manager and outsourced to a third-party organisation. Our most recent accounts are found here: Impetus accounts
In addition to your finance responsibilities you’ll be working with other members of the Operations team supporting them in their roles with a range of HR and office duties.
The role is full time (37.5 hours a week). You will be required to be in the office at least three days a week but we are otherwise open to a discussion about how the hours are spread over the week. We can discuss this at the interview or in advance if you wish to discuss working arrangements further.
- Managing the supplier and customer ledgers
- Processing invoices from suppliers and invoices to customers
- Processing expense claims
- Preparing and entering journals including for payroll journals
- Recording bank transactions on the accounting system
- Setting up payments on online banking
- Performing monthly bank reconciliations
- Performing monthly control account reconciliations
- Processing credit card statements and supporting documents
- Assisting with the preparation of management accounts including the month-end process
- Advising staff on financial procedures
- Helping the auditors and contributing to the preparation of the annual accounts
- Supporting the HR team with a range of administrative duties, including supporting with recruitment (managing applications, co-ordinating interviews etc.)
- Supporting the upload of payroll data to our pension provider
- General administrative duties to support the Operations team and wider organisation.
- Anticipated split of duties will be 70% in finance and 30% supporting HR and other operational duties.
- Proven experience working in a finance orientated role with an accounting package is essential
- An eye for detail and an interest in first-time accuracy in recording transactions
- An ability to explain finance procedures to non-finance people
- A good level of initiative, willing to get on with sorting out problems unprompted
- A good communicator and ability to manage various stakeholders
- A confident and assertive personality, combined with the ability to carry out duties with good humour, tact and diplomacy
- Understanding of the reasons and need to maintain confidentiality at all time
- Excellent IT skills, including experience of using Microsoft Office; in particular Outlook, Word, Excel and of using systems to monitor and maintain records
- A commitment to Impetus’ work
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Strong purchase ledger experience
- Obtained or working towards achieving an accounting qualification is desirable
- Experience of working with Sage is desirable
How to apply
Please send a comprehensive CV and supporting statement to us by 9am Monday 19th April 2021.The supporting statement should be no more than two sides of A4 and should address the criteria in the person specification.
In order to complete your application please also complete the following equal opportunities monitoring form on our website.
You should include the contact details of two referees, one of whom must be your current or most recent employer. Referees will only be approached with your permission. You will also be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the UK.
Interviews will take place w/c 26th April 2021.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, it is not possible to write to you should you not be shortlisted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, please assume that your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Your personal data will be shared for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. This includes our HR team, interviewers (who may include other partners in the project and independent advisors), relevant team managers and our IT service provider if access to the data is necessary for performance of their roles. We do not share your data with other third parties unless your application for employment is successful and we make you an offer of employment. We will then share your data with former employers to obtain references for you. We do not transfer your data outside the European Economic Area.
Impetus is an equal opportunity employer and is determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, race, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, or marital status. We value diversity and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds.