Location: Central London, NW1 2DX
Starting date: November 2019
Working hours: Part-time – 15 hours a week
Reporting to: Finance and IT Manager
Key relationships: Staff generally and, in particular, Operations team members; auditors; and accounting package support company.
Salary: Equivalent to a full-time salary of £23,500 per annum
Impetus transforms the lives of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by ensuring they get the right support to succeed in school, in work and in life.
We find, fund and build the most promising charities working with these young people, providing core funding and working shoulder-to-shoulder with their leaders to help them become stronger organisations.
In partnership with other funders we help our charities expand and we influence policy and decision makers so that all young people get the support they need.
We work with over 20 charity partners and employ approximately 40 people, including the Operations team which covers office management, information technology, finance and human resources.
Impetus is setting up the Youth Endowment Fund, a bold new attempt to put early intervention at the heart of efforts to tackle youth offending. It supports interventions and community partnerships working with children at risk of being drawn into crime and violence, and build up our knowledge of what works to prevent that.
About this role
This is an interesting and broad role which covers the full range of work on an accounting system.
Your key objective is to ensure the accounting system is up-to-date and accurate and that transactions are recorded correctly on it. You will pay an important part in maintaining strong financial controls and helping staff across the organisation with finance.
The role is for 15 hours a week. You’d need to be in the office at least three days a week but we are otherwise open to a discussion about how the hours are spread over the week. We can discuss this at the interview or in advance if you want to have a chat about working arrangements.
The finance team comprises the Chief Operating Officer (who is the finance director), and the Finance and IT Manager, (a qualified accountant who works full-time). The payroll is supervised by the HR and Learning Manager and we use a company to run our payroll. Our most recent accounts are found here: Impetus accounts
You’ll be working with other members of the Operations team, occasionally supporting them in their roles.
- Looking after the supplier and customer ledgers
- Processing invoices from suppliers and invoices to customers
- Processing expense claims
- Preparing and entering journals including for the payroll
- Recording bank transactions on the accounting system
- Setting up payments on online banking
- Performing monthly bank reconciliations
- Performing monthly control account reconciliations
- Processing credit card statements and supporting documents
- Assisting with the preparation of management accounts including the month-end process
- Advising staff on finance procedures
- Helping the auditors and contributing to the preparation of the annual accounts
- Generally helping out the Operations team and other teams at, for example, events.