About this role
We’re looking to recruit a strong people manager and agile communications professional to lead our team and drive forward our communications strategy and plans during a period of maternity leave.
We need someone who takes pleasure in processes and will apply this enthusiasm to making our team the most efficient we can be. We hope you will also take the opportunity to bring a fresh eye to our existing materials to help us improve them as well as lead and deliver a big project this year – sharing our strategy and the difference we’re making.
You’ll maintain tight oversight of our brand, digital channels, events communications and PR. You’ll have a team behind you delivering our creative and digital work, but you’ll need to roll your sleeves up and do delivery often.
The Communications function sits within the Public Affairs Team. Together with our Policy colleagues we are a fun, kind and collaborative team, proud to punch above our weight in the work we produce and strongly motivated by the desire to make a difference to young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
You and the team will work to position the charity as a leader in our field among donors, sector peers and policymakers to help solidify our reputation and reach our growth objectives.
Impetus transforms the lives of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by ensuring they get the right support to succeed in school, in work and in life.
We are a driving force behind great charities, helping them deliver the right support to more young people.
We find what works by combining the lessons from our charities with our own research. We share this learning to influence policy and resources so that all young people get the support they need.
We are wholly orientated towards more and better outcomes for young people, invest in trust-based relationships to drive meaningful change, believe diversity of thought, background and experience makes us smarter as an organisation, are committed to the benefits of collaboration and partnership and try to practice joy, care, a focus on results and intellectual challenge in our culture.
You’ll work closely and collaboratively with colleagues in the philanthropy, events, public affairs, operations and investment teams to:
- Manage delivery of key messaging resources for staff and trustees, including template presentations, speeches and fundraising materials
- Maximise the communications value of all fundraising events especially our annual dinner and triathlon
- Manage the delivery of a range of targeted online and offline communications collateral, both in-house and through managing external agencies
- Oversee a range of design projects including the annual accounts and our Backing the Best brochure and event assets
- Enhance the communications value of policy and research initiatives
- Line manage the Communications Manager and Creative Content Assistant, including monthly review meetings, performance reviews and day-to-day support
- Manage the delivery of our refreshed communications strategy and team plan, raising our profile with each of our target audiences, writing and deploying the key messages that need to be communicated to them and using the most effective channels for doing so, including maximising our social media presence.
- Manage the PR function, including the development and delivery of effective PR plans for each of our target audiences
- Lead our audience consultation work to ensure our communications are having an impact with the audiences we want to engage
- Develop communications KPIs that reflect our priorities and ensure we achieve our targets
- Steward the Impetus brand and ensure everything we produce is in line with brand guidelines
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organisation and prioritisation skills
- A strong and proven track record of crafting and managing all major elements of a communications strategy and its implementation
- Excellent attention to detail
- An enthusiastic and proactive individual with a positive, hands-on approach
- Ability to build and maintain influential external relationships and strategic alliances
- Ability to work as a team player, enlisting support from others and fostering collaborative cross-department working
- Ability to operate independently, working autonomously to targets and deadlines
- Ability to deliver on our PR priorities
- Project management experience and ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Experience in all aspects of digital communications
- A commitment to Impetus’ mission and values
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Experience of running policy campaigns
- Experience of developing supporter journeys
- Knowledge of the youth sector
- Experience of case study gathering and managing
We believe that a diverse workforce leads to an organisation that is more open, creative and gets better results. We want our team at Impetus to represent the diversity of the people and communities we serve. We also want our team to be one where different experiences, expertise and perspectives are valued, and where everyone is encouraged to grow and develop. We want to reach a diverse pool of candidates. We are happy to consider any reasonable adjustments that potential employees may need in order to be successful.
We recognise the importance of a good work/life balance. We do everything we can to accommodate flexible working, including working from home, working part-time, job shares and other arrangements. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process (and beyond) if these are options you’d like to explore.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.