Impetus transforms the lives of young people from disadvantaged backgrounds by ensuring they get the right support to succeed in school, in work and in life.
We find, fund and build the most promising charities working with these young people, providing core funding and working shoulder-to-shoulder with their leaders to help them become stronger organisations.
In partnership with other funders we help our charities expand and we influence policy and decision makers so that all young people get the support they need.
Impetus currently has 35 members of staff, supporting 19 charities with programmes across England, Wales and Scotland.
About this role
The Investment Manager (IM) works as a part of the Investment Team to deliver the charity portfolio strategy for Impetus through performance, portfolio and charity-facing work streams.
The IM will contribute to the refinement and execution of Impetus’ performance management processes and systems and help manage the pipeline of new investments. The IM will also support the charity peer learning network and they will disseminate wider learnings from and about the charity investments.
The IM will help drive charity partner outcomes through work on specific capacity-building objectives, with a focus on the development of charity programme design and impact management capabilities.
Finally, they will develop education and employment domain and practice expertise to inform and strengthen our work and their own knowledge and influence.
Impact and performance management
- Support the development and refinement of Impetus’ performance management process and systems;
- Assist with review, refinement and codification of our investment management approach, and the dissemination of learning across the team;
- Develop knowledge and insights into the education and employment domains, using expert advice and cultivating expert input and engagement, in order to advise on origination as well as the programme design and financial sustainability of potential grantees;
- Develop expertise in technical elements of impact management (e.g., data dashboard design and usage, system development, developing a performance culture, evaluative activity) to inform capacity support to charities, support colleagues and build team knowledge.
- Manage, with the support of an Investment Director, our pipeline database and the annual origination cycle.
- Manage impact strategy workshop logistics, develop and analyse pre-workshop surveys, support facilitation planning and synthesise outputs
- Work closely with Investment Directors to support charity partners’ progression and strengthening of leadership, impact and sustainability, working towards lead management of specific work streams related to building the charity’s impact management capabilities, processes and performance;
- Guide charity partners in setting up effective impact management structures and systems and provide insight and thought-partnership in charity’s use to drive continuous improvement;
- Build trust-based relationships with charity leaders including delivery staff and programme leads;
- Assist in curating, coordinating and managing the support of pro bono partners to drive charity capacity development and ensuring their influence on charity partners strategy;
Support to the Impetus organisation
- Support Impetus’ public affairs and philanthropy objectives through input into case studies, research and policy campaigns;
- Share the learning from our work across the team, across the organisation and externally;
- Work within Impetus strategy, policies and procedures.
- Highly analytical and numerate
- Previous experience in performance management highly desirable
- Able to identify key points from a range of data outputs and translate into clear communication, including PowerPoint
- Proven ability to work independently, and ability to engage in substantive discourse
- Strong planning and time management
- Displays tenacity and initiative
- Growth mind-set; seeks out and acts on feedback
- A strong interest in partnering closely with charities that are doing what it takes to get better
- Able to build productive, trust-based relationships with internal and charity teams
- A strong commitment to equal opportunities and diversity in the workplace
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.