- Time Commitment: Four meetings a year lasting two hours, reading papers in advance of these meetings and being available irregularly to offer advice.
- Voluntary Governance Position, with expenses paid
The Youth Endowment Fund is a bold new attempt to put early intervention at the heart of efforts to tackle youth offending.
Over the last few years, evidence has suggested that growing numbers of children and young people have been affected by violent crime. More children have been found carrying knives and a growing number have been recorded as victims. We believe that each individual statistic is an important member of our community and society has a duty to protect them.
The Youth Endowment Fund is a charity with a £200m endowment and a mission that matters. We were founded by youth charity Impetus and its partners the Early Intervention Foundation and the Social Investment Business. We exist to prevent children and young people from getting caught up in violent crime. Many organisations have this calling. Our unique role is to identify what works best and to spread the good news.
We do this by funding, evaluating and then spreading the very best work on reducing youth violence across England and Wales. Overseeing all of our work is the Committee. This Committee directs our work. It is not advisory. The Committee meets quarterly. It reviews our performance and financial management. It has final sign off on grant making decisions. The Chair line manages our Executive Director. It operates as the effective Board of the Youth Endowment Fund. We are looking for a new member of the Committee.
It is important that all the Committee's decisions are grounded in a deep knowledge of the issues, evidence and experiences of young people. A critical part of this knowledge is lived experience. We are looking to appoint a new member to the Committee who has both lived experience and expertise in the issues surrounding youth violence. We would welcome applications from all backgrounds; we want to build a Committee with a diverse set of experiences.
We are looking for you if:
- ESSENTIAL: You have lived experience of the issues surrounding youth violence either as a young person or as someone working with young people effected by youth violence.
- Our work motivates you. You want to commit time to reducing the level of youth violence. You are excited by the idea of using research and rigorous evidence to improve the lives of young people.
- You have experience of being on or presenting to senior leadership teams, boards or committees.
- You are comfortable and would enjoy being part of decisions about the future of the organisation, the risks it faces and the finances.
- You enjoy taking on brand new information and using it to make wise and informed judgements.
- You build positive relationships with people from all backgrounds including senior stakeholders and young people. You are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- You like working as part of a team. You enjoy providing advice and guidance.
- You are comfortable with committing to being a member of the Committee for an initial period of three years which involves meetings roughly once a quarter for two hours and engaging with emails outside of this on a roughly fortnightly basis.
If you are interested
To apply by 16 August 2020.
If you would like to confidentially discuss the position please contact Jon Yates, YEF Executive Director
Applications are welcome from all regardless of age, sex, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, race, sexual orientation, transgender status or social economic background. The people we are looking for do not discriminate and we believe in being inclusive and giving everyone an equal chance to succeed.
Your personal data will be shared for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. This includes our HR team, interviewers (who may include other partners in the project and independent advisors), relevant team managers and our IT service provider if access to the data is necessary for performance of their roles. We do not share your data with other third parties, unless your application for employment is successful and we make you an offer of employment. We will then share your data with former employers to obtain references for you. We do not transfer your data outside the European Economic Area.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.