About the Youth Endowment Fund
The Youth Endowment Fund is a bold new attempt to put early intervention at the heart of efforts to tackle youth offending.
In recent years there has been a significant increase in violent crime. Homicides, assaults, robberies and offences involving weapons have all seen sustained growth. For children and young people, there have been particularly large increases in those who are both the perpetrators and victims of offences involving knives. We believe it is vital to intervene early in children’s lives to tackle the root causes of crime and violence, and to stem this worrying trend.
The Youth Endowment Fund is a charity with a £200m endowment and a mission that matters. Founded by youth charity Impetus and its partners the Early Intervention Foundation and the Social Investment Business, we exist to prevent children and young people from getting caught up in violent crime. We do this by finding the very best ways to prevent youth violence, funding great initiatives and working to scale them up and spread great ideas. To do this well, we must make sure we have the organisational foundation so our team and programmes will succeed. The Head of Operations is critical to making this happen.
Most fundamentally, your job is to work with the Director of Operations & Programmes and her team to build and manage the systems and processes we need for the organisation to function effectively. To do this you will:
- Ensure we are set up to deliver on our operational plan. You will monitor and report on our progress and help make sure all YEF teams are set up to achieve their goals by providing support, accountability and resources to teams in the execution of our operational plan.
- Hire, develop and inspire the very best people. You will work with leadership from all partner organisations to ensure that we hire the best possible staff, adhere to partner HR policies, provide necessary and effective training, gain a clear understanding and strong focus on staff well-being, manage and develop staff effectively and address poor performance when required.
- Provide staff with the tools they need to perform. You will ensure we have what we need to deliver including IT systems, management information, databases, systems and processes, office facilities and more as you see fit.
- Use our resources wisely. You will assist in the development of organisational budgets and in making sure we stay to plan. You will help make sure budget holders can confidently manage their budget. You will also rigorously manage the processes and policies to choose the very best partners and service providers to work with.
- Ensure that we run our organisation in line with relevant legislation and effectively manage our risks as an organisation. You will make sure we seek legal advice when prudent and develop the tools and processes to monitor our adherence to the law and best practices.
- Help build and model a culture where it is natural to perform well and support colleagues brilliantly.
You are this sort of person:
- You are brilliant at improving and organising things: You like finding ways to make things operate better for everyone. You enjoy bringing order to what is going on. You are good at getting your head around how a process works and improving it. You are excellent at designing and putting in place effective systems and processes and driving accountability within an organisation.
- You have significant experience of getting things done: You have a track record of getting things done. In previous jobs, you have held significant responsibility for ensuring challenging projects are delivered on time. You are very reliable. You take pride in making things happen.
- You win people over. People tend to warm to you and respect you. You have built good relationships with people at every level alongside those outside the organisation.
- You work very well in a team. You are not motivated by being the individual winner. You want the team as a whole to succeed. You don’t care who gets the credit as long as things get done.
- You are interested and experienced in both HR and operational planning: You are equally at home thinking about the processes and approach we need to recruit and develop great staff as you are thinking about how we manage our office and data management systems. You have a strong background and track record in leading HR, finance or operations functions within an organisation. You also have experience leading IT projects and making sure staff have the tools they need to perform.
- You learn fast but remain humble. You are quick at getting your head around things. It wouldn't faze you to have responsibility for organising things that are new to you as long as you have an expert to ask advice from. You like learning and developing. You know how much you don't know as well as what you do.
- You don't want your days to pass without making a difference. You want to play a significant part in a charity that is making a difference. You like the idea of doing a job that makes young people safer.
- You are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
While it is not a criteria, we are especially interested to hear from applicants who have lived experience of youth violence.
It is also important to us that the people we hire do not discriminate. We believe in being inclusive and giving everyone an equal chance to succeed. Applications are welcome from all regardless of age, sex, gender identity, disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief, race, sexual orientation, transgender status or social economic background.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.