Independent Age works to ensure that as we grow older, we all have the opportunity to live well with dignity, choice and purpose. To achieve this we provide information, advice and connection services for older people; campaign on the issues that matter most to them around health and care, poverty and loneliness and provide capacity building support to others working in the sector.
This is an exciting time to join the charity as we transition to our new ambitious strategy for 2021 – 2023 and increase our profile, impact and reach so more people can live a happy, connected and purposeful later life.
We are looking for a strategic and organised Public Affairs Manager to join us on a fixed term maternity contract until September 2021. We are looking for someone who can develop impactful influencing strategies to target decision makers across national and local government, Parliament and Whitehall.
This is a fantastic opportunity to raise the issues that people in later life face up the political agenda, and further establish Independent Age’s profile as a key stakeholder in this space.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience of developing successful strategies to influence legislation or government policy.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of the UK political system and the mechanisms and tactics that can be used to secure change.
- A good understanding of how public affairs interacts with policy and campaigning to make positive change happen, including a strong understanding of Westminster, Whitehall and local government.
- Proven ability to write professionally, and tailor written language to different audiences e.g. when writing MP/Peer briefings, evidence submissions and formal letters.
- An understanding of the issues faced by older people.
- Experience of building good working relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including a proven ability to influence politicians and decision makers.
- Strong verbal communication skills, with the ability to speak to people at all levels in person, by phone and email.
- Experience of working independently and proactively to meet strict deadlines on a number of concurrent tasks.
- Ability to work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong IT skills including use of Microsoft Office packages.
- Willingness to work outside of regular office hours and overtime during busy spells.
- A demonstrable passion for, and affinity with, our cause.
Each day we go from strength to strength, increasing our impact to ensure that older people get a fair deal. We’re excited to welcome a new member of the team on this journey. We look forward to hearing from you.
As well as a competitive salary we offer 28 days annual leave plus public holidays, a generous pension scheme with life assurance, learning and development opportunities, season ticket loans, a cycle to work scheme and an employee assistance programme.
We are currently home based due to the covid-19 pandemic, so this role is currently home based.
We are passionate about equality, diversity and inclusion and creating an environment where we can ALL be ourselves.
We are keen to recruit to this role quickly so interviews will take place as applications are received.
To apply, please visit our website to upload a supporting statement detailing how you meet the person specification, as well as an up to date CV.