Independent Age is partnering exclusively with Robertson Bell to recruit to a Systems Accountant on a permanent, full-time basis. Independent Age is a national charity founded over 150 years ago with a clear mission to ensure that as we grow older, we all have the opportunity to live well with dignity, choice and purpose.
The Systems Accountant plays a vital role in Independent Age’s Finance Team. Reporting to the Head of Finance and working closely with the Financial Controller and Finance Planning and Analysis Accountant, the post holder will lead on implementing, managing and ensuring the efficient and effective operation of our financial systems, and in training colleagues to use those systems. The post holder will also maintain some key accounting functions, design and build management reports, and work together with the rest of the Finance Team to enable colleagues to make good use of financial information and to deliver a high quality service to all stakeholders.
The key responsibilities will be:
- Day to day management of the accounting system structures and interfaces to other applications, i.e. CRM systems.
- Regular review of financial systems performance to identify and fix system performance issues.
- Regular review of financial systems for efficiency and effectiveness process gains and working together with the Financial Controller to implement systems and process changes as a result
- Support the project management, testing and implementation of new finance system applications (i.e. procurement system, invoice processing system) and dashboard reporting.
- Train and support finance team members to efficiently use the financial systems and train other colleagues on core transactional processes (i.e. procurement system, invoice processing system).
- Build and maintain the financial reports required in support of the monthly management accounts, budget setting and reforecast and other reporting obligations.
- Produce and publish monthly management accounts to budget holders.
- Prepare monthly payroll funding reconciliation and payroll journal, including payroll funding transfer for authorisation.
The successful candidate will have:
- Prior experience of working with Sunsystems and related systems development.
- A recognised accountancy qualification.
- Broad experience and knowledge of different accounting systems and a track record of identifying and introducing process improvements.
- Strong problem-solving skills; ability to suggest and trial new ideas to bring about change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in communicating with and influencing senior stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate with and train other finance staff, and to enable other colleagues to make good use of financial systems and to understand and act on financial concepts and management information provided.
- Advanced computer software skills, including Excel macros. Experience of PowerBI is an advantage but not essential.
- A demonstrable passion for, and affinity with, our cause.
The position will be based at Independent Ages’s head office opposite Kensington Olympia and will offer incredibly flexible working, including regular homeworking. The closing date is 15th November. Applications will be under constant review before the closing date so please submit your application to our exclusive search agent Robertson Bell. Apply now to be considered!