Job Title: Technical Advice Team Manager (Maternity Cover)
Department: Information & Advice
Reporting to: Head of Information & Advice
Line Manages: Team of 3 Technical Advisers
Location: Avonmore Road, London W14 8RR
About Independent Age
Independent Age is a national charity founded over 150 years ago with a clear mission to ensure that as we grow older, we all have the opportunity to live well with dignity, choice and purpose.
We achieve this by providing free impartial information and advice on the issues that matter most as we grow older, and work within communities to connect people, places and services to reduce isolation and loneliness. We also act as a catalyst for positive policy change by challenging the underlying causes of discrimination and inequality.
At Independent Age we live by our values. We are;
Purpose-driven - the experience, needs and views of older people are central to everything we do
Compassionate - we listen, care and take action
Expert - our work is evidence-based and solution-focused
Collaborative - we work in partnership to maximise our impact
Accountable - we work with integrity and transparency
Inclusive - we value diversity and always treat everyone fairly with dignity and respect
This post will provide line management and supervisory support to a team of Technical Advisers (who cover Social Care, Benefits and Wellbeing information and advice topics). This post will also provide technical guidance and advice within specialist topic areas to IA staff and volunteers, to ensure that all Information and Advice service delivery is accurate. It will also support IA’s media, PR and campaigning activity, representing IA externally when required.
- Support the Head of Information and Advice to translate strategy into operational plans. Track and monitor delivery against targets, producing reports and statistics as required.
- Ensure the service provides evidence and case studies to support IA’s influencing, communication and fundraising activity.
- Conduct file reviews and other quality checks including call recording as required, provide coaching to support development and supervise quality of file reviews conducted by the technical advice team.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of legislative and regulatory frameworks. To be aware of national and local practice and how it interacts with a range of issues affecting older people.
- Provide technical guidance, strategic advice and case law to I&A staff and volunteers. Provide accurate technical advice and casework to clients in line with AQS standards and IA guidelines as required.
- Support technical advisers to develop and deliver training, briefings and other technical communications as required, provide cover as required.
- Represent IA externally as required, including attending and presenting at events and working groups, facilitating discussions and chairing focus groups. Develop, build and maintain networks with key contacts both internally and externally. Be able to demonstrate the value of these relationships.
- Keep up-to-date with other relevant organisations, undertaking competitor research when required, scanning the external environment to identify new information relevant to IA and its service users.
- Identify and work with relevant external organisations and stakeholders in partnership to provide I&A that meets the needs of older people including acting as a peer reviewer for external organisations.
- Support the Information Manager to provide high quality and accurate Information Resources. These will include but are not restricted to factsheets, web content and tools, FAQs, training materials and adviser resources. Update existing materials and products as required and in a timely manner.
- Peer review, approve and provide input into I&A resources, for example information guides, web and digital materials / tools and media content. Identify and resolve inconsistencies between individual products and ranges.
- Proactively work with colleagues in Policy and other departments to seek out and identify issues that may impact on the delivery of I&A and older people. Develop responses to these issues.
- Deputise for the Head of Information and Advice as required
- Demonstrate collegiate, empowering and inspirational leadership;
- Providing effective performance management of any reports with agreed objectives and development plans in place to enable them to perform their roles effectively;
- Effectively managing any budgetary or financial responsibility, embedding a culture of financial awareness and scrutiny;
- Maintaining compliance and adherence with all processes to ensure good governance
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the level of the role
- Have fun and challenge yourself at work, model the charity’s values and abide by our policies and practices
- Embrace diversity and share in our commitment to equality of opportunity and to eliminating discrimination
- Contribute to our fundraising effort by embracing opportunities to fundraise yourself, to promote fundraising and to support the fundraising team
- Share in our committed to safeguarding adults at risk of harm
- Use the charity’s resources efficiently and effectively to ensure that our financial resources are demonstrably used for the benefit of our service users
- Ensure that information is obtained, used and stored in accordance with our Data Protection and Confidentiality policy
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Substantial knowledge of legislative and regulatory frameworks, national and local practice and how it interacts with a range of issues affecting older people.
- Experience of supervising or managing advisers.
- Knowledge of the Advice Quality Standard (AQS) and other appropriate quality frameworks for advice provision.
- Experience of reviewing advice records, case files and other quality checks in accordance with best practice and organisational requirements and of ensuring that corrective actions are taken as a result including identification of relevant training and support needs.
- Experience of supporting the training and development of advisers using a range of techniques including coaching.
- Experience of working proactively and autonomously with a track record of building networks and spotting opportunities
- Experience of managing individual projects and meeting targets and budgets
- Experience of developing and delivering training sessions and briefings and of supporting advisers with technical knowledge and case law.
- Experience of representing an organisation externally including developing relationships with government and advice sector specialists and of presenting e.g. at conferences, round tables, working groups and / or radio and other media.
- Experience of horizon scanning and analysing data, identifying trends and proactively using this information to identify its impact on delivery and resources to be developed.
- Strong customer service experience, ability to resolve problems & deal with queries in a proactive manner
- Experience of engaging with service users to inform development and delivery
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent presenting skills including the ability to represent the organisation at a wide range of stakeholder events
- Proven organisational skills
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to prioritise and balance a large number of concurrent tasks and organise work effectively to meet strict deadlines including effective case management skills
- Excellent IT skills including use of Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a team
- Ability to communicate and liaise effectively, both in person and via telephone/email with staff at a range of levels and disciplines, as well service users and members of the public.
- Ability to effectively analyse complex material including primary and secondary legislation, guidance, policy and consultation documents and case law.
- Ability to deliver complex advice and information in an understandable format
- Excellent time management skills
- High attention to detail
- A demonstrable passion for, and affinity with, our cause.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.