Head of Communications, Online & Media
Index on Censorship
Time period: Full time
Location: London - office based
Hours: 5 days/week
Salary: £40,000 - £42,000
Index on Censorship, one of the world’s leading freedom of expression organisations, is looking for a Head of Comms, Online & Media to help support the organisation to grow its profile and coverage of freedom of expression. You will also edit and oversee the website.
If you are brilliant at communicating information to a wide range of people and great at getting media coverage, then this could be the job for you. If you love to innovate and use online channels to reach different audiences in different ways, then we want to hear from you.
Index on Censorship is a London-based charity that campaigns on issues of censorship and supports those facing threats to their freedom of expression. The organisation, which turns 50 years old in 2022, is moving into an exciting phase of its development, with new projects launching in the United States and the UK.
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
The Head of Comms, Online & Media will be responsible for revising and delivering the organisation’s communications strategy and have overall responsibility for:
- Development and implementation of our communications strategy, including devising a new social media strategy
- Handling relationships with UK and international media
- Running the Index website, and editing its content, from video and audio to written articles
- Creating, editing and distributing external communications, including documents such as the weekly email newsletter, annual report, marketing materials and press releases as required
- Driving the process of reviewing and releasing press releases and statements written by colleagues and being a point of contact with the media
- Monitoring and reporting on Index on Censorship’s coverage in the media
- Website management (our website is based on a WordPress platform) and management of the relationship with the web design company where necessary
- Ensuring Index on Censorship is able to present freedom of expression and censorship issues in an accessible and current way for a variety of audiences
You will also oversee production of video content and podcasts, in conjunction with other team members and will work closely with our magazine, advocacy and events staff.
You will line manage the Assistant Online Editor and also be responsible for relationships with any design, website and PR agencies as and when required.
- At least three years’ experience in a senior role within communications and media
- Ability to edit and produce professionally designed content for a variety of audiences
- Experienced at producing and overseeing digital communications including web and social media
- Ability to manage a website and oversee a social media strategy
- Confident working with media outlets, PR companies and journalists
- Interest in, and knowledge of, freedom of expression
- Knowledge of using WordPress and social media tools such as Tweetdeck
- Experience with communications around human rights or freedom of expression
- Experience in not for profit, advocacy or campaigning organisations
- Experience managing staff within a small communications team
- Experience of working with content in multiple languages
- Management of a small budget
- Some knowledge of media law, particularly relating to online content
- Use of design software, such as Photoshop and InDesign
Index is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. This role is based in our office in London. You may be expected to work on some weekends and evenings during the year, but the role is mainly within office hours.
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on 9th October 2019
To apply for the role of Head of Communications, Online & Media, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Head of Communications, Head of Communications & Media, Senior Communications Manager, Head of Communications & Campaigns, Senior Campaign Manager, or Head of Marketing Communications.