Founded in 1981, INQUEST is the only charity in England and Wales providing expertise on contentious deaths and their investigation to bereaved people, lawyers, other advice and support agencies, media, parliamentarians and the general public. Its range of cases includes custody and detention, multi-agency failings or where wider issues of state and corporate accountability are in question, such as with Hillsborough and Grenfell. You can find more information on our website, particularly on our Summary of our strategic plan, Campaigns webpage, and Reports and Publications webpage, and our Briefings and Submissions webpage.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a very exciting opportunity as INQUEST continues its development and expansion. The Head of Policy will be expected to represent INQUEST, taking a leadership role on some areas of influencing under the direction of the Executive Director. A proactive, adaptable and flexible ‘doer’ and strategic thinker, the post holder will be able and prepared to turn ideas into action and respond quickly to events emerging from the political and policy landscape, whilst keeping focused on the longer-term goals. A confident communicator, using different styles to impact and influence, they will be approachable and able to enthuse others with a clear vision.
Working closely with a highly skilled Policy and Communications Team, and the wider team, the key aims of the role will be:
- Maintain an overview of the external policy environment, identify new influencing opportunities, undertake policy reviews and deliver on specific projects.
- As an active member of the Senior Management Team, work with colleagues in leading the organisation and shaping its strategy and annual workplans.
- Represent INQUEST externally as an ambassador and champion.
- Identify key themes and trends, as well as new areas of work, emerging from cases and of our direct work with bereaved families.
- Ensure that casework and our unique overview of investigation, inquest and inquiry processes, inform evidence-based research and policy work.
- Actively contribute to strategic planning and thinking in relation to the INQUEST work programmes.
- Work closely with the Operations and Development Director on systems, funding and Human Resources issues.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.