Integral is a global alliance of Christian relief and development agencies. The Secretariat is seeking an experienced administrator to provide a stable organisational infrastructure for its work. The successful candidiate will be responsible for managment and administration of Integral's finances, governance and legal compliance, HR, and IT.
JOB TITLE: Support Co-ordinator
LOCATION: Home-based with remote access to the Integral server; preferably based in the UK
WORKING HOURS: 60% position, working 21 hours per week (excluding lunch breaks)
CONTRACT TYPE: Temporary for one year with the possibility of being extended
RESPONSIBLE TO: Integral CEO
1. PROFILE OF INTEGRAL AND OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR ROLE
Integral is a global alliance of independent Christian relief and development agencies, working together to present a more effective response to poverty worldwide. Integral’s goal is to see holistic transformation for more poor people, through providing collaborative opportunities for its’ Members in disaster response and beyond.
It is essential that the position holder must support the aims and objectives of the Alliance. Applicants must be committed to Integral's Christian beliefs, and fully participate in and contribute to the Christian spiritual life of the Secretariat and the Alliance. The Occupational Requirement appended to the bottom of this document explains that in more detail.
2. PURPOSE OF THE SECRETARIAT
Our small Secretariat team works hard on behalf of our Members to fulfil our Mission and Vision. We work virtually across three nations to champion, encourage and facilitate collaborative working across our membership.
Secretariat Mission Statement
- The Integral Secretariat models working virtually and collaboratively.
- We seek to be responsive to God’s leading and our Members’ needs.
- We aim for professional excellence in our work and working practices.
- We work to create flexible structures to support our Members to work effectively together.
The Secretariat facilitates the delivery of the Integral Strategic Plan, specifically to run effective disaster responses and to enable effective collaboration. We serve our Member agencies in the following areas:
- Run Joint Disaster Responses
- Group Support
- Member Care
- Spiritual Support
- External Engagement
3. MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- To provide a stable organisational infrastructure for the work of the Secretariat and to assist other Secretariat staff in fulfilling their roles.
- Responsibility for managing and administration in the following areas:
- Governance and legal compliance
- HR and legal compliance
- General and IT
- Take a full part in the functioning of the Integral Secretariat.
4. PARTICIPATION IN THE SPIRITUAL LIFE OF INTEGRAL
As part of the Secretariat, discern God’s leading in your work and for Integral generally. Join the Integral Secretariat weekly prayer times via Skype conference call. Participate in days set aside for prayer and discernment. Take turns to lead devotional time at the weekly team meeting.
5. POSITION IN ORGANISATION
This job is positioned within the Secretariat and is responsible to the CEO, but working closely with other members of the Secretariat. The successful candidate will preferably be based in the UK.
6. SCOPE OF JOB: DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide a stable organisational infrastructure for the work of the Secretariat and to assist other Secretariat staff in fulfilling their roles.
Responsibility for managing and administration in the following areas:
A. Financial management and administration
Lead in the development and implementation of finance systems to run the Secretariat efficiently and support collaboration amongst Integral Members.
- Work with the CEO, Treasurer and Board Finance Committee to ensure excellent long term financial planning and management for Integral.
- Maintain and assist in the development of all financial policies and procedures both for the Board and the Secretariat.
- Receive and process the monthly expenses claims of all staff.
- Complete monthly accounts using QuickBooks accounting software. Complete quarterly financial reports for the CEO and Treasurer.
- Alert the CEO and Treasurer of any foreseen overspend and implement new budget lines required for the next financial year
- Liaise with external financial support e.g. Payroll providers, accountants and independent examiners to enable the smooth running of the financial systems.
- Complete invoices and payments and on-line banking in an accurate & timely manner.
- Keep an electronic filing system of invoices, income, expenditure, receipts and statements in good order.
- Help develop the annual budget by producing year-to-date figures at key points through the year, getting income figures from our Members, finding out cost of living rises, and supporting the CEO in setting the budget.
- Work with the CEO on the annual statutory accounts and report.
- Monitor Integral’s obligations with regards to VAT and take appropriate action when necessary.
- Complete an annual Gift Aid Return for donations.
- Oversee compliance with the requirements of the Fundraising Regulator; maintain our secure donor database and ensure it is cleansed regularly.
- Oversee the production and printing of all Integral stationery, business cards, leaflets and annual reports.
B. Governance administration and legal compliance
Ensure Integral meets its statutory governance requirements.
- Complete documentation and ensure compliance with deadlines for Companies House and the Charity Commission.
- Creating ‘joining packs’ for any new Members or Board members. Ensure they fill in the correct legal documentation to become Members of Integral.
- Send new Members any Integral governance documents they need. Ensure that signed documentation is received back from new Members or Board members and filed on the server and submitted to the relevant statutory bodies.
- Keep up-to-date with developments in requirements for charities and advise the CEO and ExCo when action is needed to meet new requirements.
- Work with the CEO to prepare Board meeting agenda, papers and presentations.
- Clerk for the ExCo and Board at Board meetings and ensure minutes are distributed in a timely way and that actions are followed up.
C. HR administration and legal compliance
Ensure high quality design, development, and delivery of financial, IT, HR and administrative policies, procedures and systems to support the work of the Secretariat and collaboration amongst Members.
- Assist the CEO in ensuring all Secretariat staff members are legally contracted.
- Ensure all staff hold current DBS certificates.
- Ensure contracts are signed and upheld.
- Keep staff files confidential and up to date.
- Ensure all staff adhere to the appraisals schedule.
- Create and disseminate annual leave cards and ensure they are regularly updated.
- Working with HR Consultants, keep appraised of any changes in employment law and ensure the Staff Handbook is updated accordingly.
- Participate in Secretariat recruitment process as required - from drafting Job Descriptions, selection, interviewing and briefing new staff.
D. General and IT administration
- Support host Members for Integral meetings in organising logistics for Integral meetings with the host agency or in-country support.
- In circumstances where there is no Member in the meeting country, be willing to organise logistics for the Integral meetings.
- Willingness to travel to help with on-site logistics during the meetings up to twice a year.
- Maintain a secure electronic filing system for Secretariat data and Member collaboration data on both the internal server and the Google Drive.
- Lead the Secretariat in using Google Apps for their own collaboration as a virtual office.
- Ensure joint space on the Google Drive is periodically cleansed and organised.
- Keep Google web systems and user administration up-to-date.
Integral Secretariat Team Member
Take full part in the functioning of the Integral Secretariat.
- Be an active Member of the Secretariat, joining weekly team meetings (via Skype) and prayer times and integrating with the functioning of the Secretariat.
- Handle aspects of the organisation of the Secretariat’s annual spiritual retreat, including appropriate venue sourcing, liaison with external retreat leaders, and all logistics for Secretariat staff.
- As the Secretariat models collaborative working, feedback, improve or proofread the work of colleagues as and when required.
- Manage projects / work packages as and when required. Ensure all stakeholders are consulted and their viewpoints represented in Secretariat-wide work.
- Significant practical experience in administrative management
- Professional qualification(s)
- Essential: Minimum 3 years’ experience in financial administration and management for a business or charity.
- Essential: Experience using Google Drive and associated Apps
- Practical experience in working in a Christian Relief and Development organisation.
- Experience of working in a Christian environment and across time zones and cultures.
- Working experience of British HR practice and laws.
- Highly organised.
- Process thinker, able to deliver practical and clear tools / guidelines.
- Systems thinker, problem solver.
- Excellent eye for detail and quick to grasp new concepts and ideas.
- Ability to meet deadlines and cope under pressure.
- Flexible to meet the changing needs of the Alliance and Secretariat team.
- Facilitation skills, diplomacy and influencing skills, building collaboration and consensus.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English.
- Good understanding of organisational systems, policies and procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Able to self-manage and work virtually.
- Computer skills: Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, web, Google Apps.
- Layout and design skills.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software.
- Project management qualification.
- Committed Christian.
- Commitment to the mission of Integral Alliance.
- Commitment to unity and collaborative working.
- Willingness to travel.
- If you have any questions about the role please contact us thorugh the 'Contact Us' page on our website.
- If you are interested in applying we invite you to fill in our online application form by our deadline of Friday 26th June 2020.
Integral’s Occupational Requirement
Integral has a distinctively Christian ethos and purpose, having grown out of Tearfund in the UK which was founded by the UK Evangelical Alliance. Integral’s fundamental purpose is to serve Jesus Christ by uniting our Members in order to better combat poverty. All our Members share Christian beliefs and aim to bring good news to the poor in this world. They do this through demonstrating and proclaiming the Christian gospel for the whole person through Christian relief and development. A core conviction is that our work will not prosper unless we pray about it and we treat our work as part of our worship to God.
In order to achieve our mission and to maintain our ethos, it is vital that every Secretariat staff member is committed to Integral’s vision, mission and values and is actively working in accordance with our evangelical beliefs. As an organisation we aspire to combining professional excellence infused with passion for and commitment to Christ. We therefore seek to work in line with biblical principles and teaching and to seek God’s guidance in prayer in everything that we do. Through our practice of employing only committed Christians we have nurtured a working environment where Secretariat staff are committed to and united in achieving our mission.
Essential aspects of work for all Secretariat staff include participation in and leadership of spiritual sessions of worship, prayer, Bible study and reflection, both as a Secretariat and in Integral meetings. We believe this is fundamental to the achievement of our mission.
We therefore regard it as a genuine occupational requirement that this position is held by a committed Christian. The position holder must support the aims and objectives of the Alliance and be committed to the Christian ethos and vision of Integral. We believe that the conditions in part 3, Schedule 9 of the Equality Act 2010 have been met and that there is a prima facie case that the successful candidate will be a practicing Christian.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.