Integrity Action is seeking a seasoned, creative, institutional and trust/foundations bid writer to fill the post of Head of Funding - Maternity cover. This is a great opportunity for a manager looking to develop their career at the next level. Though advertised as a full-time post, we are open and flexible to alternative working arrangements and would also encourage consultants and others interested in this position to apply and suggest potential work arrangements.
Founded in 2013 and based in the UK, Integrity Action is an innovative and award-winning charity devoted to fighting poverty and inequality. We equip citizens to assess vital development and humanitarian projects in their communities, report problems publicly, and work with those responsible to ensure the problems are fixed. Integrity Action has helped citizens across Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East identify and solve thousands of problems and in so doing transform hardships into real-life benefits for hundreds of thousands of people. Our pioneering approach uses our tried and tested citizen-centred methodology and tools.
Integrity Action offers a flexible, inclusive and participative work experience, in which each member's contribution is welcomed and encouraged. Our team is made of committed and hardworking professionals who work well together. As an inclusive organisation, we welcome and encourage applicants who value diversity and have different experiences and skills to join us. We believe that diversity of people, ideas and cultures enriches both our insights into the work we do and our relationships with each other. We are keen to promote strong principles of equality and diversity and welcome and encourage applications from all backgrounds.
Bid writing (approximately 70% of time)
● Accountable for submitting compelling, persuasive and accurate proposals to our target
donors, in particular USAID.
● Work closely with Programme Development, Operations and Finance teams on
development of new projects and budgets ensuring full cost recovery.
● Coordinate inputs to proposals with a range of partners, ensuring high quality narrative and
● Manage fundraising consultants when necessary.
Other fundraising support (approximately 20% of time)
● Support CEO and Head of Programme Development on other fundraising as necessary (e.g.
proposals to trusts and foundations, relationship building etc).
● Networking and relationship-building with donors and other organisations.
● Report quarterly on Funding KPIs to CEO & Board.
● Track progress against the annual Development Plan.
Opportunity scanning (approximately 10% of time)
● Maintain a systematic opportunity scanning process and facilitate related ‘Go/No Go’
discussions regularly (e.g. weekly).
● Keep the funding pipeline regularly updated with relevant opportunities.
● Ensure the funding pipeline (Excel) is accurate and up to date.
Further Details: We have identified a pipeline of upcoming institutional and other opportunities
for 2022/23 (USAID in particular). Your role will be to work with external primes and country
partners to develop and write these bids, ensuring high quality narrative and financial proposals.
You will manage the bid writing process, primarily working directly with partners to manage their
inputs as well as Integrity Action’s. This will be supported by several team members who will
develop theories of change, budgets, result frameworks and project-specific delivery models. You may also need to commission and manage external consultants to provide support. This role will
report to the CEO and work closely with the CEO and Head of Programme Development on all
organisational fundraising, and whilst it is anticipated this role will feature significant work on
USAID, we expect you to have flexibility and adaptability to be able to work on a wide variety of
funders (institutional and trusts/foundations) as the situation requires. You may also be asked to
lead on prospect research and support the CEO in donor relationship development.
This role will also lead on horizon scanning (e.g. Devex, etc.), ensuring that opportunities are
identified early and shared with the CEO and Head of Programme Development weekly and in a
systematic way. You will ensure that Integrity Action has a suitably full pipeline of opportunities
that are being worked on and that this is kept up to date for accuracy in financial forecasting. You
will share progress with the senior management team regularly and report against the Funding KPIs
to the Board leadership (Funding committee) quarterly.
All team members are currently based in the UK and are working remotely, however we try to have
face to face team meetings regularly (e.g. bimonthly) in London so occasional travel for team
meetings as well as any other events would be expected.
● Demonstrated expertise in securing funds from USAID and other institutional funders
● Experienced in partnership engagement and the process for subbing on large bids and
developing proposals within a consortium
● Exceptional writing skills, with the capacity to write for different audiences and about
topics on which they may not be a technical expert
● Good financial literacy with experience of developing and reviewing budgets ensuring full
cost recovery and value for money
● Familiarity with the landscape, priorities, and methodologies of institutional funders,
including understanding the trends towards locally-led development. It would be an
excellent bonus if the candidate also had experience with private foundations and/or
accountability and transparency funders
● Intermediate Excel skills and good understanding of Google Workspace tools
● A creative thinker who is self-motivated and proactive
● Ability to operate to tight deadlines and manage others to do the same
● Excellent attention to detail
● Flexible with a practical, problem-solving, can-do attitude
● Capacity for self-reflection and a commitment to learning and growth
● Excellent communication and negotiation skills
● Ability to maintain high standards of ethics, integrity, and professionalism and to handle
sensitive financial information
● Committed to Integrity Action’s values and operating principles
● Actively upholding Integrity Action’s Gender and Social Justice values
● The holiday entitlement is 28 working days per year (pro-rated if part-time), plus UK public holidays
● All employees are eligible to join the NEST pension scheme to which the
organisation will make a matched contribution of up to 5% of salary
● We have a flexible working policy in place including a condensed hours option
Please upload your CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 pages outlining your relevant
experience and why you want the job.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.