About the organisation
The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) is the world’s largest alliance of national societies of obstetrics and gynaecology, bringing together professionals from more than 130 countries and territories. For over 65 years, FIGO has collaborated with the world’s top health, rights and donor bodies. We are in official relations with the World Health Organization and consultative status with the United Nations.
FIGO is dedicated to the improvement of the health and rights of women and girls and to the reduction of disparities in health care, as well as to advancing the science and practice of obstetrics and gynaecology. We pursue our mission through education, research implementation, advocacy and capacity building with our member societies.
Main purpose of the role
To ensure the provision of accurate and timely financial reporting that fully meets the needs of the organisation. To provide effective leadership to the Head of Finance and the implementation of agreed strategic objectives.
The Finance Director is a key member of our Senior Team, working closely with our CEO, other Directors & Trustees.
• Providing sound financial advice to the Chief Executive and Executive Group
• Work with the Honorary Treasurer ensuring that they are kept informed of all relevant matters related to the financial running of the organisation
• Take lead responsibility for annual financial planning, oversee reporting and accounting as per regulatory and legal requirements. Production of strategic and annual financial plans and financial reports to Companies House, Charity Commission, etc.
• Closing books accurately each month and producing timely management reports, data and analysis for management decision-making, Board submissions and other reporting requirements
• Preparing information / documentation for the Finance Committee & Trading Board
• Overseeing the FIGO investment portfolio and working to maximise return on investment
• Ensuring timely provision of pension-related financial information and meeting related obligations
• Working with the Head of Finance to ensure budgets and financial reports are robust and meet donor requirements
• Responsible for financial strategy planning, monitoring, management and reporting
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with the Companies Act and Charities Act
• Ensure the Annual Return and other statutory returns are submitted to the Charities Commission and Companies House within the appropriate time limits
• Ensuring accurate records are maintained for meeting external legal, regulatory and taxation requirements (including provision of information to U.S. advisors)
• Managing the production of FIGO’s annual accounts in accordance with agreed timescales, standards and the charities SORP
• Applying VAT correctly (including partial exemptions and reclaim rates) across all transactions
Applications are welcomes from candidates who possess the following skills and experience.
• Fully qualified accountant (eg ACCA, ACA, CIMA) with a minimum of 5 years post qualifying experience
• Experience in the international development sector and grants management
• Experience of building and / or managing financial systems for a multi-
country, grant-funded INGO
• Experience in the financial management of a Charity & Trading Company
e.g. Tax/VAT/Investment management
• Working knowledge of SORP and the Charities Act
• Experience preparing statutory accounts and managing external audit processes
• A successful track record of leadership at senior level
• A successful record of effective partnership working with key stakeholders
We are an equal opportunities employer and are proud to employ a workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons from all backgrounds.
Location: The role is based from FIGO House, Waterloo, London SE1. FIGO staff are surrently working on a trial ‘hybrid’ basis i.e. with combined office and home working.
Candidates are asked to include their CV and a supporting statement, detailing their skills and experience and outlining their suitability for the role. Interviews will be scheduled as the applications come in - so apply now!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE RIGHT TO RESIDE AND WORK IN THE UK. WE WILL EXPECT RELEVANT PROOF OF SUCH IF ASKED FOR AN INTERVIEW. (PLEASE DO NOT SEND THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR APPLICATION).
Please also note that, due to the high volume of applications we receive, we will only be contacting those applicants who are being invited to interview for this role. Thank you for your interest in FIGO.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.