As part of the External Relations Unit, IRC's Mass Markets department is responsible for the global delivery of circa US$65million of predominantly unrestricted funding, contributing to a total of circa US$240m that the organisation currently raises in total from the private sector. The Mass Markets department plays an important strategic role in the creation of IRC’s brand, awareness and support for its advocacy goals.
The Mass Market team have developed a 6 year sustainer strategy to deliver 43,500 sustainers annually by 2027 with 75% plus coming from offline recruitment channels
The IRC's strategy centres on its ambition to continue to improve the scale and effectiveness of IRC programs worldwide with evidence of what works best to impact people’s lives in conflict and fragile settings. The fundraising pillars of the External Relations Unit comprise of colleagues and teams delivering marketing, account management, leadership gifts, board liaison, corporate partnerships, brand stewardship and communications to support this work. These colleagues are primarily located in the USA at present – but IRC plans to significantly expand its global fundraising footprint. Other colleagues within IRC are also deeply engaged with private funding & partners – in particular within Europe, US Resettlement and field program – and we need to work in close integrated collaboration to ensure the best use of resources and highest impact for IRC.
As Director Supporter Acquisition you will work in close partnership with the Vice President of Mass Markets and the Mass Market leaders in Sweden, Germany, UK and USA, plus 3 additional markets to be added by 2023.
You will lead the development and delivery of IRC’s face to face and DRTV operations, which will be rooted in building best in class public engagement, including brand centered marketing, and supporter development, with a laser focus on sustainer acquisition. You will lead the transition of our international donor focus from a one-time donation model, to an expertly blended model of committed (monthly) donors as well as one-time givers. Initial focus will be Germany, the USA and Sweden. The mantra for any IRC donor engagement in the mass markets space is Stay Longer, Do More and Give More. It is expected that this role will lead the way in developing effective supporter journeys and meaningful interactions with donors that will create a greater sense of connectivity and commitment to long term giving.
You will provide visionary leadership to fuel creative, dynamic and market sensitive operations and deliver rapid growth in supporter-based revenue from offline channels. At the heart of this operation will be a test, learn and optimise culture, driven by data based decision making, ensuring the international acquisition operations are supporter focused and target driven with a close daily, weekly and monthly tracking of spend, results, and impact.
The Director of Supporter Acquisition serves as a member of the External Relations team and shares leadership responsibility for the success of the IRC External Relations goals.
WHAT DOES SUCCESS LOOK LIKE IN THIS JOB?
Our target markets grow their sustainer base in line with the key metrics outlined in the sustainer business case and strategy
Act as Leader within the Mass Markets team
- To act as offline lead representative Mass Markets in cross-divisional meetings to assist with problem solving, planning, strategy building and/or reporting.
- Assist with building strong active joint training & planning, collaboration, support & engagement with relevant colleagues
- Bring resilient, solutions focused and collegiate approaches to bear on decisions, shared challenges and opportunities.
- Take on special projects as assigned by Vice President Mass Markets
- Be an active champion for External Relations and the Sustainer Strategy with stakeholder groups across IRC.
Leader of (Offline) Supporter Acquisition (Mass Markets) – Internationally
- Lead and build a team of highly professional fundraisers and supporter engagement specialists with focused offline channel strategies
- Build relationships with all online teams to maximize the synergies in the on and offline acquisition and retention programs
- Plan and oversee, along with the Vice President Mass Markets, recruitment, retention and upgrading plans grounded in best practices for low dollar, mid-level and monthly donors delivering strong supporter lifetime value. Ensure that recruitment feeds long term value donors, planned giving and major gifts pipeline.
- Continually test and iterate recruitment, engagement (that leads to conversion) and retention tactics across the offline mix to maximise engagement and fundraising.
- Adjust campaigns and tactics to reach strategic goals.
- Act as a lead champion and driver of IRC’s plans to enhance and diversify its channel mix and capacity.
- Work closely with Marketing and Analytics teams to continually monitor results and adjust strategies to maximise revenue.
- Support Vice President Mass Markets in making recommendations to IRC senior management for additional investments.
- Contribute to preparation of annual budget and quarterly reforecasts.
- Oversee recruitment of face to face vendors, DRTV agencies and consulting firms. Handle strategy with vendors to ensure that the IRC’s programs receive high level attention and great service.
- Oversee efforts to ensure that donors receive a highly optimized experience through the point of transaction and that the Supporter Marketing and Supporter Services work closely with Marketing Analytics to develop a seamless progression into stewardship and cultivation.
- Support and deliver the frameworks and ways of working that create high quality continual creative innovation.
- Work with the Senior Director, Strategy and Planning in instituting and fine-tuning of self-sufficiency reporting among international teams
- Work with the Mar/Comms and Brand teams ensuring IRC is delivering strong content with measurable outcomes and testing strategies to improve performance
- Support on IRC advocacy goals, building strong relationships with the global advocacy teams
- Provide clear measurement and evaluation metrics that enable continued investment in the sustainer strategy.
- Act as team leader with creation of budgets and projections, as well as monitoring cross market budgets
- Support, supervise and develop the International Acquisition Team of two (Head of Face to Face Fundraising and Head of DRTV, Live Streaming & Gaming) with commitment, integrity and accountability to the IRC Way Global Standards for Professional Conduct.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Position directly supervises two direct reports: Head of Face to Face Fundraising and Head of DRTV, Live Streaming & Gaming.
The Director of Supporter Acquisition will work across the External Relations teams, working alongside the Vice President Communications, Senior Director Mar/Comms, Vice President Advocacy and Heads of Mass Markets internationally. In addition, this role will partner with teams across the organization including, Finance, Legal, International Development Programs and others.
- Significant demonstrable work experience in modern high-performance international supporter acquisition programs, with a proven track record of growth.
- Experience in offline marketing in the following areas:
- Offline donor acquisition and retention – specifically with sustainers (monthly) donors and mid-level donors
- Management of a face to face vendors
- Analytics set-up and monitoring
- Management of DRTV vendors
- Social media marketing
- Monthly/committed giving
- Proven track record of using analytics to inform and influence decision-making.
- Experience of leading a rapid growth program, and the challenges that come with rapid growth
Skills and Knowledge
- Understanding of the international fundraising marketplace
- Ability to identify unmet market needs and create or execute offline marketing strategies
- Able to create and own business metrics and goals to determine what will make notable change
- Rigorous and critical thinker, able to ask probing clear questions and drive toward solutions quickly
- Predisposition toward simple and practical solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills, collegial and collaborative and creative leader
- Strong resilience and change management skillsExcellent written and verbal communication
The deadline for applications is midnight between Thursday 29th October / Friday 30th October 2020
Interviews will take place on 5th and 6th November 2020
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
IRC UK is committed to equality of opportunity and non-discrimination for all applicants and employees. IRC-UK seeks to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious belief, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. IRC-UK welcomes applications from all candidates, including underrepresented groups and refugees who have the right to work in the UK.
IRC UK will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application and/or interview process, and for essential job functions if appointed to a role. Please contact us if you may need such adjustments.