Over the past 90 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
IRC UK is part of the IRC global network, which has its global headquarters in New York. Our team in the UK works to raise profile, deliver policy and practice change, and increase funding to help restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Since 2021, IRC UK has also provided integration services directly to refugees in England, a programme that is rapidly growing.
In Europe, the IRC also has offices in Berlin, Bonn, Brussels, Geneva and Stockholm.
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover and rebuild their lives. We deliver lasting impact by providing health care, helping children learn, and empowering individuals and communities to become self-reliant, always with a focus on the outstanding needs of women and girls. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, we now work in over 40 crisis- affected countries as well as communities throughout Europe and the Americas.
Marketing & Mobilization (M&M), a part of External Relations (ER), is a dynamic team, tasked with overseeing and implementing communications and marketing, building the IRC’s global profile and brand, growing private revenue from deeper donor engagement and partnerships, and influencing our target audiences. In alignment with our Strategy100 commitments, M&M has launched bold multi-year campaigns that raise funding, profile and influence and will improve our share of voice and resonance in key geographies and globally.
The Content and Creative team, a part of M&M, consists of award-winning creative specialists and idea partners, developing powerful communications and experiences to engage audiences and deliver on ER ambitions and objectives. Using creative mediums such as visual design, video, stunts, events, and storytelling, they tap into the expertise and talents of colleagues across the organization.
We are looking for a photo editor with great editorial judgment and a robust portfolio who can support the content and creative studio team in producing unique streams of compelling material that most appropriately conveys a story – bringing our work and our mission to life. They will help shape and produce production shoots, deliverables, and support a robust digital asset management system and metadata governance. The editor will be able to grasp and deliver on the imagery needs of internal stakeholders including direct response fundraising, marketing, communications, corporate partners.
We want an editor who will work quickly and meticulously on a range of projects, collaborating with our photo editor, content producers, video editors, graphic designers, project managers and others to complete assignments that respond to the world's worst humanitarian crises and help people to survive and rebuild their lives.
You will contribute to IRC’s Digital Asset Management system, be responsible for proper organization, workflow of visual assets, asset management and all communications to teams regarding the content. In this role, you will lead on content curation for dedicated collections that are accessible to staff and partners. Collaborating closely with the content asset manager, you will research imagery from the wire, particularly during emergencies.
Photography sourcing; creative production
· Help establish a distinctive brand voice through the creation, selection and use of strong visual imagery.
· Source and/or develop images for a variety of needs - from fast-breaking crises to thematic campaigns – through wire services or photo assignments for requests coming from KST to GMT time zones.
· Partner with field comms staff to shape field assignments; develop a roster of local freelancers.
· Occasionally go on assignments to produce high-quality photographs
· Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite used for retouching and enhancing images.
Photo Operations & Asset Management
· Ensure consistent application of metadata and keywords necessary to build and maintain a high quality and versatile digital asset management library
· Ensure images are properly licensed; help negotiate fees and supervise contracts and cost-shares in collaboration with the legal department
· Build relationships with a network of talented photographers (both in the field and international) and photo agencies. Help us develop unique creative and distribution opportunities.
Background & Qualifications:
· Experience in a fast-paced environment (for a news organization; agency non profit, or other related experience)
· Bachelor’s degree in photojournalism, visual arts, photography or something similar
· Proven ability to provide clear direction, assignment and work well with freelancers (i.e. photographers, videographers, reporters); access to freelance networks.
· In-depth knowledge of photo research and sourcing options.
· Strong understanding of distribution channels for digital content (social media, etc.); familiar with requirements for producing multi-channel content.
· Strong communication skills and team player
· Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software (including Photoshop)
· Proven grasp of rights and clearance requirements for all work, commissioned or licensed
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
· Collaboration: ability to build relationships at all levels internally and externally
· Ability to jump in with an eye to moving things forward, make everything you touch better
· Accountability: takes ownership of projects and deliverables, ensuring quality work is delivered on-time and in-full in a way that is respectful and empathetic to others
· Creative, resourceful problem-solving: come up with practical, feasible solutions that take our brand, content and team capabilities to the next level.
· Client and supporter centric: we put the people we serve at the heart of everything we do and we deeply appreciate our supporters. Mastery and enjoyment in being consumer/customer-centric
· Excellent communication (written and oral), organization
· French, Spanish, and/or Arabic language skills are a plus, but not required
· Experience managing Digital Asset Management platforms
· Proven track record with project management and creating organizational systems and workflows
Candidates must have the right to work in the UK.
The application deadline is 11th of Dcember 2023. ,
IRC UK strives to be an equal opportunities employer. IRC UK is committed to equality of opportunity and to non-discrimination for all job applicants and employees, and we seek to ensure we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
IRC UK welcomes applications from all candidates, including underrepresented groups and refugees who have the right to work in the UK.
IRC UK will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application and/or interview process, and for essential job functions if appointed to a role. Please contact us if you may need such adjustments.