The IRC’s International Development Unit, a part of the Global Partnerships and Philanthropy Department, leads on the Organization’s engagement with high-value private-sector stakeholders globally (corporations, foundations and individual philanthropists).
The Senior Director, Foundations, will serve as a leader on the on the International Development team and will be responsible for the overall planning, development and implementation of the IRC’s private sector foundation strategy in line with the global private sector strategic plan. The incumbent will drive ambitious revenue growth and oversee IRC’s efforts to leverage the influence of the philanthropic community to positively impact those we serve.
- Lead and manage the Global Foundations & Trusts fundraising team (F&T), including direct line management of a global team. Lead through deepening of existing partnerships and expansion into new markets.Provide dynamic and effective thought leadership for F&T’s efforts towards increased financial revenue, and other modes of foundation sector engagement that support impactful delivery of the IRC’s mandate and mission;
- Oversee and guide development and implementation of International Development’s global engagement and revenue strategy and activities for foundations & trusts;
- Lead and support the International Development team’s efforts by personally cultivating and soliciting high-level, high-impact partnerships that call for a level of seniority/technical competence where director-level participation is relevant and appropriate;
- Inspire, motivate and challenge the International Development team through active mentorship, fostering an environment that supports new ideas and innovative approaches to partnership development and relationship management;
- Conceive and deliver appropriate innovations that keep the IRC’s partnership proposition stand-out and relevant;
- Lead and drive the development and success of a consistent global “one team” approach to the strategic relationship planning and other organized groups, towards maximizing the impact of those partnerships in support of the IRC’s mission and mandate, while respecting internal IRC management/reporting structures;
- Partner with the VP, Development to set annual, and more regular, goals and key outcomes for Foundations and Trusts’ team’s efforts;
- Collaborate with IRC senior leadership to develop an overarching vision for global F&T support at the IRC, articulating that vision to key constituencies in order to encourage and develop a cross-functional, multi-location culture of effective and innovative partnership engagement;
- With the VP, Development and other department senior managers, lead on the development and implementation of standards, tools and procedures towards a best-in-class approach to international private sector engagement and fundraising;
- Lead on the provision of assistance and informed professional insight for IRC technical and field teams on matters relating to support and partnerships;
- Identify F&T market and partnerships trends and competitive strengths and weaknesses to inform International Development’s and the wider GPP Department’s, approach to external engagement;
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree a plus.
- 10+ years professional experience leading and building the infrastructure of a complex private sector revenue program;
- Proven successful track record of cultivation, solicitation, and management of high-yield, high-value multi-faceted private sector partnerships with an international focus;
- Non-profit and/or international humanitarian aid experience a plus.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to lead, motivate and develop a high-performing, complex global team
- Ability to define and implement critical near-term and long-term revenue generation strategies concurrently
- Ability to translate broad vision and strategies into specific objectives
- Deep understanding and solid grasp of effective business development and relationship management approaches for private foundations and trusts
- Experience of complex partnership development and relationship management in a global context; experience of philanthropy, foundation and trusts’ relations essential
- Strong, persuasive and compelling interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
- Strong comprehension of humanitarian sector actors and trends
- Strong skills collaborating with multiple and diverse stakeholders across the organization
- Understanding of and experience of communications strategies in support of income generation and broader stakeholder engagement
Working Environment:Standard office work environment; some potential travel in the U.S. and international.This role may require working remotely full or part time, and part time remote employees may be required to share workspace.