The International Water Association is a worldwide network for water professionals and organisations, with a membership in the fields of water services, infrastructure engineering and consulting. It connects more than 10,000 experts within the international water sector. IWA is a network structured to promote multi-level collaboration among its diverse membership groups, to share the benefit of knowledge on water science, technology and management worldwide.
Each year, IWA organises and sponsors over 40 specialized conferences and seminars on a wide variety of water and sanitation topics worldwide. Further, IWA publishes 12 scientific journals and 40+ books per year. IWA develops leading edge innovations and synthesizes these through the work of 50 IWA Specialist Groups (SGs), three Clusters and a set of global programmes such as, Cities of the Future, Basins of the Future, Digitalization of Water, and Innovators Platform. IWA has a worldwide staff of approximately 50, with headquarters in London and offices in Nanjing (China), and Chennai (India).
The Marketing & Communications Opportunity
IWA is entering an important phase in its development, with a number of transformational activities being implemented and new outputs being delivered. These present some exceptional opportunities for marketing and communications activity to deliver the greatest returns for IWA from these developments.
The Marketing & Communications Team has complementary expertise and experience, with blending / overlapping of activities. It already delivers a wide range of outputs and undertakes a diverse range of tasks. It is intended that the role of Communications / Marketing Officer (Digital delivery) will complement the existing team, allowing team members to exercise similar core skills while leading on different activities, and also bringing complementary skills and expertise to the team.
Detailed Job Description
Under the general supervision of the Marketing and Communications Director, the Communications / Marketing Officer has the responsibility to execute on a variety of strategic elements of the IWA’s Marketing and Communication plan, further establishing the IWA members as thought-leaders and the IWA as a global reference point for water professionals and those concerned with the future of water, addressing all aspects of the water cycle.
In addition to this operational aspect of this job, the Communications / Marketing Officer will take note of the tasks that form this role and advise the Marketing and Communications Director on the ongoing needs and planning of the Marketing and Communications team. They have the responsibility for producing and delivering communications and marketing content and strategies, working as part of IWA’s Marketing and Communications team, and with the Events, Programmes & Membership Engagement, Corporate Services, and Regional teams. They will report to and work closely with the Marketing and Communications team in establishing, raising, and maintaining IWA’s brand awareness.
1. Content creation and evaluation – with audio / visual focus
As part of the Marketing and Communications plan, and working collaboratively with colleagues in relevant teams, develop engaging content to support IWA programmes and events campaigns:
- Create and produce compelling and engaging content, particularly audio / visual content (imagery, audio and video), for IWA generally, and for specific marketing campaigns and projects;
- Provide lead support to staff for use of media suite;
- Evaluate impact of content deployment, including:
- Optimising web content for SEO purposes;
- Undertake marketing benchmarking, analytics and reporting on key outputs and channels.
2. Research and develop narratives and storylines to extend reach in areas of strategic importance to IWA
As part of the Marketing and Communications plan, and working collaboratively with colleagues in relevant teams:
- Identify themes, develop materials, and stimulate activity to support uptake, use and impact of new content management system / member platform.
- Work with IWA Learn team to develop and help deliver materials and to stimulate activity around products and outputs emerging from IWA Learn.
- Deliver output for marketing and communications purposes, especially to support success of IWA events.
- Implementation through specific strategies and campaigns across a range of channels, including various online channels such as social media, website, etc.
3. Provide a lead on marketing-led communications on the theme of innovation
Produce content and marketing materials to highlight IWA’s contribution to water sector innovation globally:
- Provide online and offline content creation for website and social media;
- Liaise with and manage different internal and external stakeholders;
- Support development of event-based activities focused on innovation, leading on the delivery of communications and marketing value and impact.
- Develop specific strategies and campaigns across a range of channels, including various online channels such as social media, website, etc.
4. Marketing support
Working with the Marketing and Communications Director, other team members and other teams, support implementation of marketing activities, including use of paid-for digital marketing.
- Support delivery of all marketing campaigns;
- Provide a lead to identify and develop marketing opportunities based on IWA’s activity on diversity and IWA’s membership opportunities.
- Use membership data and analytics to enhance retention and recruitment campaign activity, and to tailor messaging accordingly.
Key Selection Criteria
- Right to work in the UK
- Strong experience with digital content creation and production
- Proven track record of producing audio/visual (marketing) content, as well as written content, preferably with ability to use graphical design and video software (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere)
- Strong preference for scientific / engineering academic and / or work background
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and check content to ensure materials achieve high standard of English
- Strong understanding of social media and digital interactive networking platforms
- Experience of developing and delivering marketing and communications plans and strategies, preferably with a membership organisation, NGO, or similar
- Good experience of delivering messages on target to key audiences
- Project management skills
- Good interpersonal skills, appreciation of multi-cultural environment and the ability to gain understanding and cooperation across all areas of the organisation and its members and participants
- 3+ years’ experience in international communications / marketing is desirable.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.