Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality news and information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.
Internews is a charity operating internationally, with administrative centres in California, Washington DC, London, and Paris as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Our commitment to a culture of belonging:
Internews is passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams, and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations, and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and actively welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
About the Candidate:
The successful candidate will be a part/fully qualified accountant. They will have comprehensive experience/technical skills in the areas of financial accounting, management accounting and balance sheet analysis in a multi-currency environment. Experience in the Non-Profit Sector will be an advantage.
About the Role:
One of two roles to be recruited, the successful candidate will be working in a small team, based in London, and will be expected to assist with all aspects of Accounting and Reporting. Whilst the role will have specific duties, a wide variety of other duties can be required depending on deadlines and staffing. The role will require both independent and collaborative working within a diverse working environment.
- Project reporting (Internal/External)
- Managing Project Audits
- Reviewing Project expenditure
- Multicurrency analysis
- Project staff financial management
- Direct financial programme support to countries
- Project budgeting
- Monthly management reports
- Supporting the annual statutory auditing process
- Supporting the annual organisational budget process
- Any other tasks as required by senior management.
- Timely production of project financial reports for donors and other internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensuring professional and compliant delivery of all Internews Europe financial processes, drive improvements in processes and ensure all staff members understand and adopt such processes.
- Proactive provision of internal finance training and policy guidance as needed.
Provide back-up cover, as required, for
- Weekly purchase ledger process.
- Banking processes (GBP and currency, income and payments).
- Cash flow reporting to management.
- Day to day financial accounting (prepayments, accruals, depreciation).
- Other corporate finance duties.
- Experience of financial and management accounts systems/processes, including annual accounts, budgeting, cost allocations, audits and external reporting
- Experience of liaising with and advising non-financial managers and staff
- Experience of managing external professional and service provider relationships
- Experience of external (donor project) reporting
- Experience of working in, or dealing with, developing countries and fragile states
- Understanding of charity finance regulations and systems
- Accounting qualification
- Knowledge of SORP accounting requirements
- Advanced Excel skills (considered necessary for this role)
- High degree of proficiency in relevant Accounting Software (Quick Books / Business World) will be an additional advantage
Person skills / aptitudes
- A willingness and ability to adopt a hands-on approach to your work
- Be comfortable working in a collaborative & diverse environment
- Strong communication, liaison and interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels
- Strong analytical, problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Willingness to travel
Candidates must submit a succinct covering letter of no more than 2-pages explaining how they satisfy the requirements of the person speciation in addition to a CV highlighting relevant experience. The successful candidate will also be asked to provide three professional referees, one of whom must be from their most recent employer.
Deadline for submission of applications: 24 October 2021.
Interviews: Internews will be reviewing applications as received.
This position will be located in the United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment.
The above noted job description is not intended to describe, in detail, all the tasks that may be assigned but rather to give the job holder a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of his/her position. As the nature of business demands change so, too, may the essential functions of this position.
This position will be located in London, United Kingdom and therefore a successful applicant must both be present in the UK for the duration of the assignment and obtain the Right to Work in the UK in order to commence their employment.