ISD is a global counter-extremism organisation dedicated to powering solutions to hate and extremism. ISD has established itself as one of the leading global authorities on extremism and security. Combining research and analysis with government advisory work and programme delivery, ISD has been at the forefront of forging real-world, evidence-based responses to the challenges of integration, extremism and terrorism.
As a global non-profit organisation with teams in London, Beirut, Toronto and Washington D.C., ISD enjoys strategic partnerships with the world’s leading technology companies and supports more than a dozen prominent governments and institutions in stemming the rise of violent extremism and hate speech.
ISD’s research and policy team conducts qualitative and quantitative research on issues relating to terrorism, extremism and polarisation, including a significant body of work relating to the use of the internet and technology in these issue areas. This research feeds ongoing policy support to government, international institutions and the private sector to help challenge and counter extremism and threats to democracy and human rights.
The manager will deliver research, project management, and measurement and evaluation across the CENT (Communications, Education, Networks and Technology) and RPC (Research, Policy and Cities) divisions.
1. Digital Research and Methods
- Drive development to secure new funding for research projects, with a focus on French language research
- Scope potential new funders and development opportunities for the digital research team
- Conduct digital research for a variety of projects under the research programme, including disinformation, hate speech and extremism research
- Manage the availability and access to ISD’s tech stack across the organization, including commercial and bespoke tools for digital analysis and statistical analysis
- Support on improvement and iteration of digital analysis methods and tools for all programmes
- Organise and assist with tech tool trainings for the wider ISD team
2. Project management and delivery for CENT division
- Lead on researching, writing and editing reports for policy, civil society, media and other audiences
- Develop, manage and reconcile project budget and deliverables, including working with the ISD grants team to report to funders where required
- Maintain excellent relationships with OCCI network members in France
3. Measurement & Evaluation Cross-Team Support
- Lead on development of measurement and evaluation frameworks for a range of ISD’s projects
- Oversee implementation and analysis of M&E results
4. Line management
- Line manage up to 2 staff and support the team to reach their potential through coaching, communication and identification of learning and development opportunities
5. Development of strategic partnerships and networks in France
- Write, review and edit team communications outputs to French audiences to ensure that they are timely, clear and representative of ISD’s expertise
- Build, manage and maintain external stakeholders’ relationships in France to an exceptional level
- Actively and regularly engage relevant stakeholders in France, including representation at events, conferences and presentations
What success looks like
Digital Research and Methods
- Co-author of at least 2 reports per year
- Support on securing at least 2 new funded projects per year, totaling at least £80,000
- Lead on securing continuation funding for 1-2 existing projects
Project and Line Management
- Successfully keep projects under management within timeframe and budget
- Receive positive 360 feedback from reports and team members
- Educated to degree level, with a Masters in a relevant field (political science, social science, computer science, international relations, security studies, war studies, terrorism and extremism studies).
- Experience developing and designing measurement and evaluation frameworks
- 3+ years of project and programme delivery experience, with proven ability to manage complex and large projects involving numerous stakeholders and to manage and reconcile budgets for such programmes.
- Experience of line management in a matrix environment.
- Strong working use of digital analytics techniques and social listening tools.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to conduct statistical analysis, including use of statistical packages such as SPSS.
- Fluent, high quality oral and written communication skills in English and French.
- Proficient, high quality communication skills in additional languages (Spanish preferred).
- Proficient use of data visualization software such as Tableau.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Highly organised with the ability to be flexible, multi-task and respond proactively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team.
- Experience developing and designing measurement and evaluation frameworks for education programmes
- Experience delivering events and workshops
- Coding skills (R/Python/HTML etc.)
If you would like to apply for this position, please send a one-page cover letter and two-page CV via the application method below, by 29th December 2019. Exceptional candidates may be interviewed and appointed before this time.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted and applications without a covering letter will not be considered. All applicants must have either EU status or right of employment within the UK.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.