Islamic Relief Worldwide
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK)
Community Fundraising Officer – Northwest
BASE LOCATION: Regional Office (Northwest)
REPORTING TO: Regional Community Fundraising and Volunteer Manager
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers
Islamic Relief is an international non-governmental organisation (INGO) founded in the UK in 1984 by a group of medical doctors and activists. Established in response to the widespread famine in Africa, Islamic Relief has grown to become one of the world’s largest Muslim INGO with a presence in over 40 countries worldwide.
Since 1984, Islamic Relief has saved and transformed the lives of over 110 million people. By responding to disasters, rebuilding lives and preparing people in case disaster strikes – we save lives before they are lost. In addition to providing disaster and emergency response, we also promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender.
Islamic Relief is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and an implementing partner for DFID, ECHO, the World Food Programme (WFP) and UNHCR.
PURPOSE OF DIVISION (IRUK)
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK) is a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) that is part of Islamic Relief Worldwide. IRUK’s focus is strengthening effective funding, mobilising for change through advocacy and awareness-raising, and strengthening programme development and delivery. IRUK works with various partners and institutions, from governments, non-governmental organisations and local authorities to grassroots communities.
PURPOSE OF DEPARTMENT (FUNDRAISING):
To develop and implement strategies to increase the funding income of Islamic Relief through a range of fundraising initiatives and through acquisition and retention of supporters.
To support the Regional Community Fundraising Manager in fulfilling the organisational objectives of developing and optimising on community fundraising and volunteer initiatives.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
Works closely with the Community Fundraising Manager and Officers as well as other members of the regional team. There will also be close working relationship with TIC International, regional charity shops and regional volunteers.
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
- Recruit, co-ordinate and supervise volunteers and volunteer groups within the assigned region/area
- Take a volunteer-led approach in ensuring the effective delivery of fundraising activities locally and representing the organisation at fundraising and other events
- Dealing with related logistical issues and ensuring that materials and equipment are available
- Establish new relationships and maintain allocated relationships with key stakeholders.
Responsibility for Resources:
- Responsible for assigned resources that assist with the activities and work of IR including vehicle, mobile handset, merchandise, PDQ machines and Barclays Miura devices
Finance & Coporate Services
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff. The following are the main responsibilities that the role holder will be accountable for:
Develop strong donor relationships with stakeholders in the region
- Maintain existing donor relationships and partnerships with a focus on an allocated area within the region
- Explore and develop new relationships and partnerships with the goal of widening the community outreach and increasing the number of new donors to Islamic Relief
- Manage the stakeholder relationships by holding regular meetings, providing feedback on donations and exploring what Islamic Relief can offer them
- Meet fundraising targets and ensure return on investment is met with individuals and/or networks we partner with
- Formalise partnerships with individuals and networks by following the necessary protocols i.e. establishing a Memorandum of Understanding or contracts
- Provide fundraising support to stakeholders working with Islamic Relief.
- Develop strong volunteer networks across the region
- Ensure volunteers are recruited to support Islamic Relief activities
- Ensure all volunteers working with Islamic Relief in your area are properly registered, inducted, trained and developed
- Maintain and update a volunteer database for your area Oversee aspects of work where volunteers are involved.
- Support the fundraising unit in the organisation of events and activities
- Lead volunteers in managing events locally or event participation in consultation with line manager
- Represent the organisation at IR and non-IR events
- Ensure that appropriate materials and equipment are available for events
- Loading, delivering and returning materials and equipment to and from functions
- Maintaining supplies of fundraising/promotional materials at all times.
Assist with Fundraising/Campaigns co-ordination
- To assist with fundraising at all local activities within region
- To ensure that all funds and pledges are collected, stored safely, and acted upon promptly
- To undertake any follow up actions which are required by IRUK or third parties after fundraising has taken place
- To contact local organisations, businesses, schools and mosques for fundraising and collections when required
- To arrange leaflet distributions in liaison with volunteers
- Ensuring that all shops in the region are informed about campaigns/activities and receive relevant materials including posters and leaflets.
Fulfil relevant administration duties
- Process collections using Donation Station within one week of collecting funds
- Ensuring that all funds are banked as a matter of priority
- Dealing with any banking queries when necessary
- Producing and dispatching receipts, certificates and reports to donors.
Communicate related information
- Respond to fundraising and other enquiries in relation to regional activities
- Communicate performance and provide regular updates to Line Manager
- Utilise all regional and personal social media platforms to promote Islamic Relief messaging, campaigns, activities and appeals.
- Any other task as deemed appropriate by line manager in improving the efficiency and performance of Islamic Relief.
General Duties of Islamic Relief Staff Member
- Contribute to the effective and efficient running of Islamic Relief as appropriate
- Participate, as appropriate, in Staff forums and Meetings
- Adhere to Islamic Relief’s Policies and Procedures
- Represent Islamic Relief to the wider community as appropriate
- Treat all colleagues, volunteers and members of the public with dignity and work within and adhere to Islamic Relief’s equal opportunities statement and polices
- Ensure professionalism and credibility at all times
- Any other task as deemed appropriate by manager within the scope of the role.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (Essential)
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief’s vision and mission.
- Experience in establishing and developing relationships with key stakeholders
- Demonstrate experience in project coordination i.e. events and campaigns
- Experience of organising and supervising events
- Experience of recruiting, managing and developing volunteers
- Full UK Driving license.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Knowledge and understanding of the local region and community
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to motivate and manage volunteers
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong motivation and empathy towards the aims and objectives of the organisation
- Numerical skills, the ability to work accurately under pressure and pay attention to detail
- Ability to represent Islamic Relief in a wide range of situations
- IT literate with ability to use MS packages, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong organisational skills i.e. ability to prioritise and plan work, set and achieve deadlines, establish and maintain monitoring systems etc.
- Have a flexible approach to work
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally, and at short notice.