Islamic Relief Worldwide
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK)
Creative Content Manager
BASE LOCATION: London, UK
REPORTING TO: Head of Communications and Creative Content
LINE MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES:
Multimedia Content Producer
Graphic Design Coordinator
Copywriter & Editor
Islamic Relief is an international non-governmental organisation (INGO) founded in the UK in 1984 by a group of medical doctors and activists. Established in response to the widespread famine in Africa, Islamic Relief has grown to become one of the world’s largest Muslim INGOs with a presence in over 40 countries worldwide.
Since 1984, Islamic Relief has saved and transformed the lives of over 110 million people. By responding to disasters, rebuilding lives and preparing people in case disaster strikes, we save lives before they are lost. In addition to providing disaster and emergency responses, we also promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. Islamic Relief is a member of the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) and an implementing partner for DFID, ECHO, the World Food Programme (WFP) and UNHCR.
PURPOSE OF DIVISION (IRUK)
Islamic Relief UK (IRUK) is a Strategic Business Unit (SBU) that is part of Islamic Relief Worldwide. IRUK’s focus is strengthening effective funding, mobilising for change through advocacy and awareness-raising, and strengthening programme development and delivery. IRUK works with various partners and institutions, from governments, non-governmental organisations and local authorities to grassroots communities.
PURPOSE OF DEPARTMENT (Communications & Creative Content):
The role of the Communications & Creative Content Department is to provide strategic and operational leadership to Islamic Relief in the areas of media, advocacy, internal comms and creative content. There is a focus on all internal and external communications and reputation management.
The Department also works in partnership with Islamic Relief departments to provide creative content and communications expertise ensuring that high quality information, material and resources are delivered and sustained to support and promote our work on fundraising, advocacy and programmes.
- To manage a team of creative communications professionals, covering multimedia content, graphic design and copywriting/editing
- To respond to the creative needs of colleagues in other departments in Islamic Relief UK (including the Media team, the Advocacy & Public Affairs team, and the Fundraising and Marketing
- To manage content collection from domestic programmes and international programmes, as well as from fundraising and advocacy events in the UK departments).
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Head of Communications & Creative Content
- Creative Content staff
- IRUK managers
- IRW’s International Programme Department
- External agencies and suppliers
SCOPE AND AUTHORITY
Scope of the Role:
- Provide effective leadership for team members producing creative content, and act as an inspiring role model at all times.
- Build strong working relationships with departments across the organisation to ensure integrated communications and creative content plans are developed and implemented to achieve maximum impact with external audiences.
Responsibility for Resources:
- Overall responsibility for all technical equipment in the marketing unit – cameras, video, edit suites
- Responsibility for budget for equipment, repairs, commissioning freelancers and carrying out content-gathering trips
- To be the guardian of event photography, filming and intellectual property, managing distribution of logos, copy and images, including all imagery/footage used on the website.
The job holder is accountable for fulfilling his or her roles and responsibilities in line with Islamic values and principles of fairness, humanity, honesty, respect and fair treatment of his/her colleagues and staff.
1. Develop and deliver IRUK’s Creative Content strategy
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive creative content strategy and budget for the Creative Content Unit
- Devise and implement creative content plans, targets and KPIs
- Work with colleagues in the Creative Content Unit to use analysis and insight to develop and improve creative content plans and inform future decision-making
- Develop and oversee the implementation of guidelines and standards for the professional accomplishment of creative content
- Generate creative ideas about ways to promote the work and profile of Islamic Relief UK, developing and implementing plans to take these forward
- Ensure that all creative content adheres to branding guidelines and promote the brand
- Benchmark creative content activities against other leading INGOs by producing or commissioning audits
2. Management of Creative Content Unit
- Provide effective leadership and line management for staff in the Creative Content Unit, providing support and advice on a day-to-day basis, carrying out regular 1:1 meetings and being responsible for performance reviews and appraisals
- Identify and provide relevant training and development opportunities to staff
- Ensure the team operates within a collaborative, communicative and learning environment, providing opportunities for personal and professional development
- Lead by positive example to create a motivational working environment which inspires the team
- Plan, delegate, manage and review work plans and projects to ensure the Unit’s operational plans are being achieved
- Manage effectively the expenditure of the Unit budget as well as any resources
- Work with the Graphic Design Coordinator and Multimedia Content Producer to recruit consultants and specialists as and when required
3. Manage creative content activity
- Maintain branding guidelines for the production of creative content, ensuring consistency of messaging and tone of voice
- Act as an internal advisor for creative demands from internal clients; help teams to build their understanding of best practice
- Regularly analyse, measure and evaluate all creative content
- Manage the design and production of all offline and online materials on time and within budget
- Maintain and review creative briefs from colleagues and ensure that output is characterised by the highest creative standards
- Liaise with creative and media buying agencies to ensure that all activity is delivered on time
- Work with the Creative Content Unit to monitor activity, using sound judgement and a focus on innovation and optimisation to make any necessary changes to ensure final targets and objectives are met
- Put in place effective processes to track, monitor, measure and evaluate the impact of the team’s work against agreed KPIs
4. Content planning, gathering and delivery
- Work collaboratively with key stakeholders within IRUK to identify content needs and priorities
- Establish and maintain processes and procedures for content gathering such as photography and videography guidelines, briefing templates, case study writing guidelines, consent forms and translation process
- Liaise with colleagues in IRW’s Network Resource & Development team to coordinate content gathering activities to avoid duplication of efforts
- Regularly liaise and develop positive working relationships with photographers and videographers based in the UK and internationally
- Oversee the production and maintenance of a database of freelance photographers and videographers
- Manage a content calendar and lead regular content planning meetings; scope, plan, commission and manage the development of content
- Manage and commission content gathering trips overseas or in the UK, in consultation with internal stakeholders, and delivering contracts for services
- Work with the Internal Communications Coordinator to update relevant teams on key content developments.
- Research creative content trends and innovations with a view to improving IRUK’s creative content work
- Develop and contribute to effective work practices, including setting up and implementing effective systems and procedures
- Network with peers from third sector and campaigning organisations
- Stay abreast of technology trends and use this to contribute ideas to the Communications & Creative Content Strategy
- Keep up-to-date with key concerns in the development sector and the Muslim charity sector
- Travel, when required, both nationally and internationally for content-gathering trips
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with this post as reasonably requested by the line manager
6. General duties of Islamic Relief staff member
- Participate in staff forums and meetings
- Adhere to Islamic Relief’s policies and procedures
- Represent Islamic Relief to supporters and stakeholders
- Treat all colleagues, volunteers and external stakeholders with dignity and work within and adhere to Islamic Relief’s equal opportunities statement and policies
- Ensure professionalism and credibility at all times
It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to Islamic Relief’s vision, mission and values.
- Production of core marketing collateral including print, digital and audio-visual resources
- Experience of influencing and managing a wide range of stakeholders in a complex organisation
- Experience of managing and working with creative teams
- Proven experience of working as part of a busy creative team
- Proven experience of working in partnership with other teams
- Experience of delivering with a marketing budget and using resources effectively to successfully balance creative aspirations with limited financial and other resources
- Experience of working with and commissioning design, photography and video content
- Experience of commissioning freelancers (e.g. graphic designers, videographers, photographers)
- Proven experience of project managing work from conception to delivery, and monitoring and evaluating its impact
- Experience of working to budgets
- Development and implementation of systems, processes and structures to improve effectiveness
- A track record of developing innovative marketing campaigns across multiple platforms
- Line management experience – managing, motivating and developing staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
- Effective management of own workload and ability to work on a number of projects at any one time, to tight timescales
- An ability to interpret creative briefs and to guide colleagues
- Ability to communicate technical information and requirements to non-technical management and internal stakeholders
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Commercially aware with good understanding of budget management An aptitude to plan annually, multiple campaigns and activities
- An understanding of creative content trends
- Proven record of excellent people and interpersonal skills with strong communication skills at individual and group levels
- Excellent project management skills, ability to set goals and manage appropriate activity to achieve them
- Ability to drive creative development and ideas
- Excellent analytical skills with the proven ability to manipulate and interpret information
- Ability to influence and persuade at various levels across the organisation
- Ability to review and evaluate marketing and communication activities and identify opportunities for improvements
- Extensive knowledge of marketing principles and techniques – both traditional and digital
- Knowledge of branding and marketing in the INGO sector.
- Creative and innovative approach to online and offline media
- Strong team player
- Motivated, positive and solutions-focused
- A proactive and collaborative approach to challenges in your work
- Confident and positive approach to work
- Strong motivation for and empathy with the aims and objectives of Islamic Relief.
- Third sector experience
- Knowledge of the Muslim community
- Experience of providing advice and support to internal teams on creative briefs
- Established contacts with creative freelancers (e.g. graphics designers, photographers, videographers and video/photographic editors).
- Willing to work evenings and weekends, particularly during emergency appeals.