Itad is a leading international development consultancy providing technical advice to governments, foundations, multilateral agencies and non-profits on how to maximise the impact of their investments. We have a 37-year track record of providing our clients with the information and insight they need to make development work smarter, produce better results and improve people’s lives.
Our knowledge and expertise are grouped around Practice areas including Fragile and Conflict-affected Settings (FCAS), Human Development, Inclusive Growth, and Governance and Institutional Strengthening. We continue to grow in size, commercial performance and professional reputation and we are increasingly recognised as a global leader with a diverse client base including international development agencies and philanthropic foundations.
Our Finance Team consists of 8 people and aims to be a true business partner, sitting in the heart of the business, and providing business support and technical expertise to safeguard the company’s financial assets, aid decision making, and support future growth.
We achieve this through two primary functions. The Central Finance function provides business support to the Board in the form of financial reporting and commentary, financial projections, and technical advice. With the primary focus on financial accounting, its purpose is to safeguard Itad’s financial assets, and ensure statutory, tax, and filing compliance, maintain a robust internal control environment, promote best practice throughout the business, and provide technical expertise to internal customers.
The Finance Business Partnering function provides business support to the Practices to analyse, explain and predict Revenue and Gross Profit performance, to aid commercial decisions. Finance also contributes to the fulfilment of financial reporting contractual obligations to the customers.
The role will sit initially within the Finance Business Partnering function, but will reach across all areas of finance.
The role reports to the Financial Controller, the main purpose of the role will be to support the FC in ensuring effective and efficient financial operations, control, and reporting, and to support the financial and commercial management of our projects. You will act as the FC’s deputy, covering for the FC as required.
The main responsibilities of the Senior Commercial Accountant position will include:
- Business partnering with our Project Management Unit and the wider business to achieve its objectives.
- Assisting the business in understanding the data that it is given to enable it to make business decisions.
- Supporting the Financial Controller in the production of annual budgets and rolling forecasts, business partnering with the practices to achieve this.
- Preparation of monthly reporting to the Practices, including analysis thereon.
- Presentation of monthly reporting to the Practice and Client Account Leads.
- Production of monthly reporting packs for the company leadership teams and board, which the FC will present.
- Line management and assisting other team members to develop their skills.
- Financial management and analysis of one of our large foundation projects, reporting to the project team and client; working closely with the project team to achieve this.
- Working with the management accountant to prepare audit schedules and manage the external audit process.
- Assist the FC in the development and management of processes within the finance team, prepare ad hoc analysis as needed, support on project accounting related queries, provide support to the practices and the project management unit as needed.
- Full accountancy qualification (ACA / ACCA / CIMA).
- Strong commercial acumen with a strategic and proactive mindset, ability to see the bigger picture and how different parts impact one another, beyond simply following processes.
- Strong business partnering skills and confidence in working with the rest of the business, with the ability to alter your approach dependent on the audience.
- Good communication skills and the ability to translate financial information to a range of people across the business and then use this information to solve problems and implement positive change.
- Skilled at manipulating and using financial information and data to support commercial decision making, with advanced Excel skills.
- Experience of and desire to line manage and support personal development.
- The desire to be a team player with the ability to work autonomously when appropriate.
- Experience of a working in a finance role within a project-based industry, ideally within a similar industry e.g., international development / NGOs.
- Comfortable working with accountancy software, ideally Microsoft Dynamics 365.
We also know that there are great candidates who will not fit everything we have described above, or who have important skills we have not mentioned. If that is you, please do not hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
The salary for this role is dependent on your skills and experience but we expect to be between £45-55K plus bonus.
We also offer a comprehensive learning and development programme, 24 days holiday plus 8 flexi bank holidays, additional time off over Christmas and a matched company pension up to 5%.
This is a hybrid role. Candidates will already have the right to live and work in the UK.
The deadline for applications is 24 June, however please note we will be interviewing successful candidates on a rolling basis and as such may close the vacancy before the deadline.
At Itad, we are committed to actively promoting diversity, equality and inclusion to empower people both within our organisation and through our work. We know that employees with diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences make us a more effective and innovative company and we therefore welcome and encourage applications from interested candidates regardless of age, sex, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief.