Jami is a mental health charity that enriches and saves lives impacted by mental illness and distress in the Jewish community.
Since the start of the pandemic, demand for our services has grown exponentially. In 2021 we undertook a thorough review of the needs of the community, to develop a new strategy that will secure the Jewish community’s mental health provision. The new strategy sets out a huge agenda for change in scale and provision, which will be developed over the next five years while we continue to run our diverse set of highly professional mental health services:
- Advice and advocacy
- Treatment and support
- Education and campaigning
Jami currently supports over 1,400 individuals, delivering almost 50,000 separate service interactions each year, and reaches thousands more people through education, seminars, work in schools and other organisations. Through our social enterprise community café, Head Room, we raise mental health awareness while delivering mental health support on the high street.
You will be working as part of our Recovery and Outreach team, supporting people to work towards what is meaningful for them. You will create links with primary care and voluntary sector organisations to support people. You will carry out initial assessments and short-term interventions, enabling people to identify their needs and work towards their goals. You will meet people in person and use video conferencing technology to support people through 1:1 and group work.
- To work as a member of the multi skilled teams providing support to members of the Jewish community experiencing issues with their mental health.
- To support people to accomplish goals using recovery focused, person-centred, graded approaches
- To create and carry out bespoke support plans together with people, working with them to identify goals, strengths, and support needed
- To manage 1:1 caseload
- To facilitate recovery focused groups
- To work as full and effective member of staff team
- To provide specialist skills using recognised standardised and non-standardised evidence-based assessment tools.
- To facilitate face to face, telephone, and video conferencing, initial assessments and periodic reviews as required
- To use the MOHO model and tools to assess and address occupational performance skills in the areas of lifestyle management, motivation, self-care, productivity and leisure, interpersonal skills and cognitive skills.
- To enable and encourage individuals to live as independently as possible through interventions that focus on:
-Domestic activities of daily living as such cooking skills, cleaning and shopping.
-Independent living tasks such as budgeting, bill paying and tenancy issues.
-Support and development of communication and interaction skills.
-Encouraging involvement in meaningful activities through local groups, volunteering, educational institutions, employment.
- To bring professional learning and expertise to colleagues through team meetings and joint working
- To support people to access services within Jami and externally, by advocating for them and accompanying them when appropriate.
- In Line with the service user involvement strategy, coproduce:
- Meaningful support plans with caseload clients
- User led activities designed to develop people’s skills / strengths, promote independence, self-esteem and self-worth
-New initiatives which seek to improve social inclusion and quality of life
- To liaise with statutory and non-statutory organizations to provide coordinated support
- To maintain up to date and accurate electronic records as required by existing procedures
- To participate in service audits and research projects.
- Maintain own personal development and keep up to date with current knowledge and health and social care agenda through reading, attending study days, conferences and meetings as appropriate
- Work within Health and Safety guidelines, with reference to the Lone Worker Policy and individual risk assessments
- Compliance with the Equality Act, and Health and Safety legislation
- Attend regular supervision with named supervisor
- Participate in the organisation’s appraisal process
- Ensure that all activities are operated in a way which is consistent with the values of Jami and the Jewish community it serves.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by your line manager or another designated senior manager
Essential Training, Qualifications and Experience
- Professional qualification in Occupational Therapy (or evidence that this qualification is soon to be awarded)
- Registered with HCPC and BAOT (or evidence that registration is soon to be completed)
- Maintains a portfolio of CPD in line with regulatory body standards
- Experience of working with people in a health and/or social care setting
- An understanding of the socioeconomic factors that can impact on someone’s mental health
- Experience carrying out assessments
- Experience of collaboratively creating intervention plans and goal setting
- Ability to develop rapport with clients, colleagues, and external agencies
- An in-depth understanding of Occupational Therapy theory and models of practice
- Risk assessment and risk management skills
- Experience supporting people to develop and maintain daily living skills
- Strong ability and willingness to work as part of a team; to both carry out joint work and advise and receive advice from colleagues
- Ability to develop practical solutions to problems as they arise
- Ability to ‘change tactics’ when current plan of support needs adjusting
- Ability and willingness to actively listen to people; clients and colleagues alike
- Ability to reflect on work and engage with supervision process
- Knowledge of Trauma Informed Practice
- Ability to always treat service users with respect and dignity, adopting a culturally sensitive approach, which considers the needs of the whole person.
Please see full job description attached.
To apply for the role, please send your CV and covering letter.
Closing date for applications 24th July 2022 or when sufficient applications have been received
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.