JAMYANG LONDON BUDDHIST CENTRE
OPERATIONS MANAGER JOB PACK
Jamyang London Buddhist Centre (JLBC) is a dynamic organization hosting a range of Buddhist and secular on-line and on-site programs, community and social projects. It also runs several businesses to support its core-mission activities such as renting accommodations (both B&B and longer term), venue hire and a Café. The centre is located in a large (10,000 sq foot) historical building, The Old Courthouse, located close to the centre of London (SE11). It is a UK charity founded in 1978 and affiliated to the Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition (FPMT).
Operations Manager Role
The Operations (General) Manager is the key senior management position that complements the Executive Director at Jamyang London Buddhist Centre. The primary function of the Operations Manager is to oversee the organizations operations and HR administration. This includes office management (and liaising with IT), human resources, hospitality, facilities management and business development such as B&B and venue hire. We are seeking a kind-hearted individual with the people-skills and professional experience to manage variety and complexity. The candidate needs to demonstrate a capacity to handle volume whilst remaining strategic.
Areas of Responsibilityies
Administration & Human Resources
- Oversee all administrative functions to support the smooth functioning of the team
- Oversee HR functions: Maintain our online HR system Breathe; ensure HR compliance; staff hiring; review processes; maintain appropriate documentation while ensuring that staff and volunteers understand and are complying with JLBC's various policies.
Health and Safety
- Ensure compliance on all health & safety areas.
- Support and/or develop processes to review and implement health & safety guidelines
- Develop, promote and manage JLBC’s business ventures including venue hire, accommodation rentals and a future Café. This includes overseeing and improving: financial viability; operations processes; promotion and marketing.
- Work with the ED to explore and develop other business opportunities.
- Ensure the team can deliver an efficient and warm welcome towards all visitors
- Manage the recruitment of all volunteers
- Ensure that the facilities are well-prepared for classes, events, rentals and visiting teachers, including refreshments as required
- Ensure that The Old Courthouse and its courtyard outside areas are clean and welcoming, and comply with health and safety standards and all other relevant legislation
- Supervise the maintenance and repairs to the building, fixtures and fittings
- Upgrade furnishings and equipment, and support redecoration and rebuilding projects, as agreed with the Director/Chair of Trustees
- Work with the Director to set and review budgets
- Ensure that appropriate financial procedures are in place and upheld
- Authorize invoices within agreed expenditure limits
- Provide regular staff meetings, supervision and support for hospitality staff
- Manage and develop the live-in and external volunteer schemes
- Lead and/or participate in recruitment and training as agreed with the ED.
- Maintain warm collaborative relationships with the other organizations based at The Old Courthouse: currently, the Courthouse Community Centre and Courthouse Garden Café
Great interpersonal and communications skills; Experience in management, operations and leadership; Strong track record of project management and organizational skills; Can demonstrate ability to handle volume whilst remaining strategic; Experience in HR; Strong IT skills; Experience managing budgets; Willingness to work flexibly and harmoniously as part of a small team.
Familiarity with JLBC and commitment to Buddhism and the FPMT is desirable but not essential.
Compensation and Benefits
Hours of work: full time, 35 hours/week, plus 25 days paid holiday per year plus bank holidays
Remuneration: £25,000 per year.
Commencing: mid-March 2021
Probation period: three months
How to apply
The deadline for applications is: February 3rd, 2021. Every candidate needs to demonstrate permission to work in the UK: we regret that Jamyang can’t help with work visas or immigration.
Please send us the following:
- Your CV
- A maximum of two pages outlining why you want the job, and how you meet the qualifications
- Contact details for two referees (please let us know if they can be contacted before interview)
JBC is an equal opportunity employer and seeks diversity with respect to race, religion, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.