Director of Development
We’re looking for a senior relationship fundraiser to join Just Like Us as their new Director of Development, maximising existing donor support and building new relationships on the back of a compelling, unique case for support. Just Like Us (JLU) is the LGBT+ charity for young people working for a world where LGBT+ young people live awesome lives. Their mission is to empower young people to champion LGBT+ equality.
Their activities and programmes include:
- An Ambassador Programme that trains LGBT+ 18-25 year olds across the UK to speak in schools about LGBT+ allyship
- A mentoring scheme that utilises corporate partner support
- An annual School Diversity Week that includes a range of resources for teachers
- A Pride Groups programme that provides training and resources for setting up lunchtime/after school clubs for LGBT+ young people to meet, learn and get support
This vital, empowering work is only possible thanks to the generosity of funders who give nearly £1m per year to support these activities and programmes, and supplemented by income earned from school talks and pride group memberships.
The demand for their successful programmes makes growing the number of partner schools a priority for Just Like Us, increasing their impact in England and expanding into Scotland and Wales. This growth will be built on the further development of a successful fundraising programme that enjoys partnerships with global brands like Deloitte, L’Oreal, JP Morgan Chase, and Tesco, trusts and foundations including the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, The Paul Hamlyn Foundation and The National Lottery Community Fund, a giving circle with excellent growth potential, successful events, and regular and one-off individual gifts.
This is such an exciting opportunity for a senior fundraiser with core expertise in relationship fundraising to grow a team and shape the income generation and broader direction of a small, mighty organisation with huge scope to grow services and income.
As Development Director, you will:
- Collaborate with passionate, supportive peers across Just Like Us, refresh the fundraising strategy, increase and diversify income, and grow your team in line with your fundraising plans.
- Be supported by and work closely with a new CEO on organisation-wide initiatives, and have the backing of an engaged board willing to invest in strong business cases.
- Initially lead and coach a fantastic Head of Partnerships who oversees corporate relationships, and manage a Development Manager who will be your first hire – the role is currently vacant, and the Development Director will be able to shape this according to business need.
- As an intial focus, you’ll prioritise internal relationship-building to ensure fundraising remains at the heart of organisational thinking, familiarise yourself with current funders, and begin the process of planning for the next financial year.
- Have the opportunity to contribute to or play a key role in policy development, event planning (especially the Just Like Us Awards), cross-organisational special projects, grant reporting, and finance and budgeting.
Ideal skills and experience:
- Excellent relationship developer who can drive new business and maximise funder relationships
- Expertise in relationship fundraising, particularly HNWIs
- Trust fundraising is a major component of income that the outgoing Development Director has personally led, so skills in this area would be useful.
- Some experience or understanding of corporate fundraising to enable support and coaching of the Head of Partnerships
- An education or youth charity background would be advantageous, but is not essential
- Experience of working in smaller organisations, collaborating across teams and contributing to overall strategy
- Superb internal and external relationship-building skills
- Seasoned line manager with strong coaching abilities
- Demonstrable passion for Just Like Us’ work and mission
Employee benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, with Christmas office closure
- 1 additional day of annual leave per year, up to a maximum of 5
- Pension contributions matched up to 6%
- Employee Assistance Programme, including free counselling and legal support