Just Like Us, the LGBT+ charity for young people, is recruiting a Schools and Colleges Officer to join this award winning startup’s team. Your primary responsibility will be building and managing relationships with schools and colleges, managing communication with schools in our network and providing ongoing support.
You’ll help us capitalise on our successes, boosting our impact: thousands of young people empowered, hundreds of schools engaged, recognition from the Prime Minister, and widespread media coverage.
About Just Like Us
Just Like Us (JLU) is the LGBT+ charity for young people working for a world where LGBT+ young people live awesome lives.
Our mission is to empower young people to be the champions of LGBT+ equality at school and work. To do that, we run three programmes:
- Ambassador Programme: we partner with employers to train LGBT+ young adults to give talks and workshops in schools that use their own stories to champion LGBT+ equality and challenge prejudice
- School Diversity Week: our annual initiative empowers teachers and pupils across the country to tackle homophobic, biphobic, and transphobic bullying by organising activities that celebrate LGBT+ equality in education
- Pride Groups: a pilot programme training 18-24 year olds to run pupil-lead LGBT+ and Ally groups in schools
Like every startup, we’ve thought hard about our values. We believe that a charity must be dynamic, constantly adapting to focus on what works; that challenging prejudice takes courage; and that empowering young people is the surest way to change the world.
Our ways of working are based on startup best practices: a commitment to user centred design, learning quickly from pilot initiatives and measuring our impact so that we know we’re making a difference.
We’ve worked with over 30,000 pupils through our Ambassador Programme and will reach a further 1,000,000 school students and teachers in School Diversity Week 2019. We've been featured in The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, Attitude, Pink News, and on the BBC and ITV. To find out more about our work and impact, explore our website and YouTube channel.
As Schools and Colleges Officer, your role will be to:
- cultivate and recruit new schools, follow up on enquiries and generate new school leads
- manage relationships with existing schools and encourage repeat bookings
- grow and manage our Facebook Group for Educators who champion LGBT+ equality
- assist in the monitoring and evaluation of our schools programmes
- act as the point of contact for schools on our programmes, regularly sharing new resources with teachers and students, liaising with teachers about the pilot and improvement of resources and providing support as required
- deliver our existing teacher training for schools on LGBT+ issues
- manage communications with our schools network, including creating fortnightly newsletters for school partners, blog, social media content etc
- build case studies and impact stories throughout the academic year to inspire other schools, support funder reporting and marketing and communication initiatives
- recruit and manage our Teacher Advisory Group, facilitating a termly workshop with members of the group and revising resources in response to feedback
- committed to our vision and mission for LGBT+ young people
- an excellent communicator in writing and in person
- confident in public speaking and delivering training and workshops
- able to build and maintain productive relationships with different stakeholders, including senior leaders, teachers, teaching unions and other education bodies
- resilient in the face of the challenge of motivating already busy school staff to engage with our work
- familiar with the workings of the UK education system
- highly organised and able to multitask
- committed to making evidence based decisions using data from existing and potential school partners to inform decisions
How to apply
Applicants must send a CV and cover letter by 18 July 2019. Please note we will be interviewing candidates as applications are received, so apply early. The cover letter should answer:
- Why are you interested in becoming the Schools and Colleges Officer?
- What qualities you will bring to the role?
- What are the key challenges you anticipate you’ll face?
JLU will invite successful applicants for an interview in London with the CEO, leadership team and a Trustee.