Justice Studio is a values driven consultancy entering an exciting new phase of development in our mission to reduce social inequality. Effective communications are at the heart of this as a crucial tool in raising JS’s profile while making sure key social justice issues are part of the wider political and public agenda.
In order to deliver on these objectives, Justice Studio is looking for a pro-active, thoughtful, and creative Communications Consultant to build our communications and transform how we engage with the social justice landscape. A primary focus of the role is to help design and implement a communications strategy that furthers Justice Studio’s work by developing our communications activities, raising our profile, expanding our reach and increasing our influence. In addition, the role includes using your communications expertise on consultancy projects for our clients.
We are based in London and work both in the UK and across the world for governments, charitable and not-for-profit organisations, and social enterprises that are striving to promote global social equality. Our work for them spans strategy, research, policy and advocacy and demonstrates impact. Since our establishment in May 2011 we have undertaken over 75 social justice consultancy and research projects for a range of clients in over 30 countries.
Job title: Communications Consultant
Salary Band: £35,000 – £45,000 per annum, pro-rata, depending on experience
Hours: 3 days a week. We can be flexible on how this is worked for the right candidate.
Job Location: Caledonian Road, London, N7
Reports to: Managing Director
Anticipated Start Date: July 2020
As Communications Consultant you will use communications tools and techniques to inspire people from different professional and personal backgrounds to notice, address, and take action to resolve social justice issues. You will manage the day to day comms platforms as well as design and deliver our communications strategy as part of our vision through 2022. In addition, you will have the opportunity to deliver communications projects for our consultancy clients.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Contribute to the creation and formulation of a clear integrated communications and engagement strategy, advancing Justice Studio’s objectives, increasing its profile and developing its ability to influence the social justice landscape.
- Devise engaging and targeted messages that clearly communicate Justice Studio’s wider social justice objectives, as well as those of individual projects, raising JS’s profile and increasing its influence.
- Learn Justice Studio’s existing target audiences, while identifying and expanding future target audiences as part of medium and long-term engagement strategies.
- Embed comms planning and frameworks into JS outputs from outset, thinking strategically about how publications will raise JS profile, including communication through and reception by press, social media and other engagements channels. This will also require thinking about how and with whom this could lead to other opportunities for future work.
Press, PR, and media
- Create, collate, and maintain weekly and monthly media grids, planning ahead and ensuring communications objectives and outputs are disseminated to relevant audiences through the appropriate channel(s).
- Plan and manage the delivery of PR, including public affairs and media campaigns, in line with a broader communications and engagement strategy.
- Create and maintain Justice Studio’s media monitoring and press database, building a targeted list of relevant media, journalist and other contacts in order to ensure JS’s objectives and messages reach the right people, at the right time, through the right channel(s).
- Manage the production and dissemination of Justice Studio written and digital outputs, ensuring maximum reach and impact.
- Develop and manage media relations, building a network of expert commentators and good relationships with key journalists, to enhance media coverage of Justice Studio and its social justice objectives.
- Draft PR and press materials, including briefings, press releases, comments and opinion pieces, as well as setting reasonable coverage and pick-up targets.
- Monitor and identify opportunities for comment in line with Justice Studio expertise, strategic objectives and areas of focus, including UK government and parliamentary consultations and inquiries, and other opportunities as appropriate.
- Work with colleagues to support the planning and delivery of major events and launches, with special attention to engaging appropriate target audiences, communicating relevant messages in the appropriate format.
- Design and lead Justice Studio’s communications consultancy projects and contribute to communications aspects of other consultancy projects in the UK and internationally.
- Develop and design proposals, and methodologies for a range of large and small consultancy projects.
- Develop effective and collaborative working relationships with key clients in our consultancy work.
- Write clear and accessible reports using the findings from a mixture of quantitative, qualitative and other innovative data collection methods.
Communication platforms, messaging, and brand identity
- Manage and develop Justice Studio’s digital and social media footprint through its website, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Facebook, maintaining integrated communications between platforms, as well as with offline outputs and ensuring consistency in message frequency and dissemination; establish reasonable, measurable social media targets.
- Manage, safeguard and develop Justice Studio’s brand identity both online and in print, ensuring consistency and continuity in its deployment and implementation across channels and in public engagement.
- Produce regular reports evaluating communications performance and progress, including web and social media analytics, press hits, and PR and other profile-raising activities. This will require establishing and agreeing reasonable performance targets.
- Manage and maintain regular communication with Justice Studio’s stakeholder groups, including its core team and associates, ensuring each group is properly informed of JS activities and has the opportunity to offer expertise in advancing JS’s strategic objectives, where appropriate.
- Design and curate Justice Studio’s newsletter, ensuring relevant information is included in a timely, informative and engaging manner.
- A good degree or equivalent, ideally in a social science or a social justice oriented discipline, coupled with a passion for social justice.
- Experience of successful project or communications campaign planning and implementation.
- Strong, creative communicator with excellent spoken and written English; expertise in writing for various channels, including websites, blogs, social media, and press.
- A proven ability to understand the interplay between research and comms, with an ability to communicate complex social justice issues in engaging ways to both professional and public audiences.
- Experience in dealing confidently and professionally with high profile external stakeholders.
- Ability to secure buy-in of comms objectives to JS team, ensuring clear explanations and understanding of their role in JS strategy.
- Experience of tools and approaches to monitoring and evaluating communications, social media, and PR impact.
- Strong IT skills, including Mail Chimp and web CMS, and uploading and management of content.
- Confidence and awareness of various social media platforms, including tools, techniques and styles necessary to maximize social media exposure and reach.
- Attention to detail as well as the ability to set organisational priorities and see how these feed into long-term strategies.
- Political acumen, including an understanding of domestic and international political landscape as it relates to social justice, along with an understanding of the social justice sector and players more broadly.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrable success in relationship building and stakeholder management.
- Imagination, creativity, and an ability to think outside the box.
- Ability to work as part of a small team, and to support others when necessary, embracing Justice Studio’s values and ethos.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.