Justice Studio is a values driven consultancy entering an exciting new phase of development in our mission to reduce social inequality. We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly skilled colleague to manage our expanding portfolio of work. If you are dynamic, driven, and passionate about social justice, then please apply.
You will be in an exciting new leadership role as our organisation grows, helping us to set up new programme management systems, pursue new opportunities, and manage and expand our portfolio of projects. Your roles and responsibilities will have the potential to grow as we grow. You will be key in facilitating this growth.
We are based in London and work both in the UK and across the world for governments, charitable and not-for-profit organisations, and social enterprises that are striving to promote global social equality. Our work for them spans strategy, research, policy and advocacy and demonstrates impact. Since our establishment in May 2011 we have undertaken over 75 social justice consultancy and research projects for a range of clients in over 30 countries.
Job title: Head of Programmes
Salary Band: £55,000 – £65,000 per annum, pro-rata, depending on experience
Hours: 3-4 days a week. We are happy to be flexible for the right candidate.
Job Location: Caledonian Road, London, N7
Reports to: Managing Director
Line managing responsibilities: Senior Researchers
Anticipated Start Date: July 2020
The Head of Programmes is a key strategic and technical role. You are the linchpin of the organisation with responsibility for leading our varied range of social justice consultancy projects in the UK and internationally. You will source and establish relationships with key new clients and partners, excelling at representing Justice Studio to our clients.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Formulate strategies, new directions, and techniques to grow the company, and utilise networks with clients, consultants, and counterparts to advance successful new business opportunities.
- Lead market positioning for contractual business opportunities, and actively lead the development of Justice Studio’s track record in the social justice sector.
- Apply in-depth technical expertise to new business efforts, and Justice Studio’s knowledge base.
- Design, lead and supervise proposals and other relevant technical assignments for projects in the UK and internationally, including management of proposal writing teams to ensure that members are delivering high-quality, winning proposals, within designated timeframes, whilst effectively coordinating workloads.
- Cultivate partnerships with international firms/organisations as well as local, in-country partners.
- Contribute to overall business strategy, improvement and innovation.
- Lead Justice Studio’s approach to programme management.
- Work with the team to design and improve Justice Studio’s programme management systems.
- Provide leadership and oversight of Justice Studio’s portfolio of projects and programmes in the UK and internationally.
- Manage a team of staff and consultants based in the in the UK and remotely.
- Provide management, quality and technical advisory support to project teams to ensure achievement of project outcomes in respect to time, quality and cost, and the management of projects risks.
- Develop effective and collaborative working relationships with our key clients, Partners, sub-contractors and consultants to ensure all stakeholder expectations are incorporated into project management decisions.
- Monitor programmatic financial performance including expenditure against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements.
- Support and oversee contractual compliance in all areas, including the team’s adherence to contract and reporting requirements as well as any relevant in-country regulations.
- Liaise with programme subcontractors; issue and manage contracts, oversee budgets and invoices, and assess deliverables to ensure they meet Justice Studio’s high technical and quality standards.
- Write, in-put into, review and provide commentary on project technical work and project reports.
- Oversee liaison and communication with Justice Studios’ associates, identifying and recruiting new associates with technical expertise who may be available for short and long term assignments.
- Delegate, supervise, and evaluate performances for Justice Studio staff and consultants, providing regular, constructive, and courageous performance feedback and taking prompt action to resolve performance issues.
- Actively embody Justice Studios values and ethics, fostering a workplace culture that is respectful, collaborative, trusting and open.
- Oversee and manage the reporting, recording and escalation of safeguarding risks within our projects, programmes and the organisation as a whole.
- Be Justice Studio’s safeguarding focal point, providing oversight and recording of safeguarding issues and risks; training and building the capacity of our staff and consultants; keeping abreast of any relevant safeguarding legal and policy developments and updates.
- Degree in relevant subject, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of technically relevant work in project and programme management in the consulting sector.
- Understanding and fluency in programme administrative, accounting, and management systems with an ability to instigate systems.
- Relevant experience of business development within the consulting sector including designing and leading tender submissions and bid teams.
- Interest in both the UK and international social justice contexts and projects.
- Ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage working relationships with clients, partners, and technical experts.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Fluency in English
- The right to work in the UK
- Technical experience in one or more of the following fields: safeguarding; child and social protection; criminal justice; disability; gender, masculinities, and women’s rights; housing and homelessness; race and ethnic minority discrimination; older people and social care.
- Experience managing projects for the Department for International Development (DFID) or other large UK government departments.
- Relevant staff supervisory experience.
- Fluency in Spanish, Arabic, or French.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.