Older People’s Outreach & Support Worker (Age Well)
Job Title: Older People’s Outreach & Support Worker (Age Well)
Position: Permanent contract
Salary: £27,500 (pro rata)
Hours: 28 hours per week (flexible working possible)
Holidays: 25 days per year + Bank Holidays (pro rata)
Responsible to: KLS’ Head of Elders Team
Responsible for: Supporting a small team of volunteers
Location: Working across various venues in Battersea
Main office is at KLS, 108 Battersea High Street, London SW11 3HP
About Katherine Low Settlement
Katherine Low Settlement is a multi-purpose charity that has been serving the communities of Battersea and Wandsworth since 1924. We are dedicated to building stronger communities and enable people to challenge and find ways out of poverty and isolation.
We run a range of our own community projects to support children, young people and their families, older people and newly-arrived refugee communities. We recognise there are many other expert local charities and community groups working with, for example, disabled people and mental health users. We invite them to operate from our premises – so together as partners we can meet the diverse needs of the local communities of Wandsworth. Each week we work with 45+ charities & groups supporting more than 1,100 people.
Katherine Low Settlement’s work with older people
Katherine Low Settlement has worked with older people since its conception in 1924.They are a core part of the community that we continue to work with. We provide, often in partnership, a range of projects and activities for older people including Health and Wellbeing, Creative Arts, Intergenerational Work, Connecting Neighbours & Active Participation and Trips and Outings. We are locally focused, responsive to need, co-produce our work programme and achieve effective and significant outcomes for older people.
Our direct services include: Older People's Lunch Clubs, Chair Based Exercise & Dance classes, Dance for Life, a Walking Group, Gold & Silver Players Drama Troupe, The Contact Club, The Little Club, Sewing/Arts & Craft Group, Mental Health Carers Group. Our delivery partners include: Line Dancing, Gentle Yoga, a Community Choir, T’ai Chi for Elders. Please google Katherine Low Settlement elders to find more information.
We currently work with 272 older people and their families to achieve the following outcomes in their lives:
- Encourage active and independent living
- Reduce isolation and loneliness
- Improve wellbeing and prevent ill-health
- Enable older residents to be dynamic and contributing members of the Wandsworth community.
KLS Age Well programme for older people
Come and join our fantastic elders team, who are combatting loneliness and isolation in Battersea. This exciting new role will develop an Age Well programme for older people. The vision for this new Council-funded programme is to enable older people in Battersea to continue living as independently as possible with the support of their community. This support includes the development and substantial delivery of preventative services. You will work in partnership with local charities and community groups that enable residents to either achieve, maintain or delay the decline in their abilities in relation to physical, intellectual, emotional and social wellbeing. This is a new programme driven-by local older people, the shape and contents of the services determined by them.
This is a new and exciting opportunity for a dynamic and enthusiastic community worker, with experience of working with different groups of people in community settings.
Key Objectives for this Role
- Developing relationships with local community groups and individuals to develop the new programme.
- Run day-to-day operations of a comprehensive Age Well programme with older people in Battersea
- Encourage ‘Active Citizenship’
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support the planning of KLS’ Age Well older people’s service with older people themselves, partners and funders
- Conduct a Participatory Needs Assessment to help build an understanding of the assets and needs of older people in Battersea
2. Communications & Fundraising
- Support communications work of the Settlement about older people and the Age Well programme
- Support the Director and Elders Organisational Development Worker to make funding applications
- Undertake marketing and promotion activities to recruit older people to the Age Well programme
- Manage referral and assessment process
- Conduct outreach work with older people in the community from a variety of venues incl. home visits
- Support older people – one-to-one support as well as group work
- Ensure delivery of all the Age Well activities throughout the week
- Link and work with appropriate older people services and agencies
- Keep accurate records to help monitor and evaluate our older people’s Age Well service
- Report and address safeguarding issues
- To be part of and work closely with the Elders team and other KLS team.
4. Manage Volunteers
- Take responsibility for managing individual volunteers as and when appropriate
5. Undertake Other Duties
- Participate in regular supervision and annual appraisal; help to identify your own job related development and training needs
- Undertake your role in a professional manner and maintain a high quality standard of work in accordance with the aims, values and ethos of Katherine Low Settlement
- Undertake any other appropriate tasks, as agreed with your line manager
As this is a new role the above job description reflects the position at the time of writing; it is not intended to be a task list but indicates the general level of work involved. It is expected that duties will be reviewed and revised as required.
Person Specification - please refer to these in your covering letter, giving experience of these areas.
Skills and Experience
Essential / Desirable
E Proven experience of working with older people in community settings
E Track record of project management skills and expertise
E Strong communication skills – both verbal and written
E Ability to work as part of a small team, whilst also working independently
E Experience of addressing safeguarding issues
E Committed to KLS’s mission, vision and values
E Experience of overseeing volunteers
D Knowledge of Battersea / Wandsworth
E Passionate about social justice, education and championing the value of older people
E A hands-on, highly motivated individual with considerable drive, energy and a determination to succeed
E Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
E Trustworthy, non-judgemental, caring and compassionate, proactive, self-motivated and hardworking
For further information and an informal chat about this post please contact Sarah Goodall - details on our website.
- Katherine Low Settlement is committed to equal opportunities.
- All offers to work at Katherine Low Settlement are subject to two satisfactory references, which is standard KLS policy applicable to all roles. KLS also ask for an enhanced DBS check.
- You will adhere to matters of confidentiality concerning this role, the KLS team and trustees.
- An induction is given to all staff. This includes sharing KLS policies / procedures relevant to each post.
- There is a 6-month probation period for this role.