For over 45 years, Kidney Care UK has been at the forefront of supporting people with kidney disease - from our early days when we campaigned to introduce donor cards in the UK, we have worked hard to support and represent the interests of everyone affected by kidney disease.
We continue to provide practical, emotional and financial support whilst also working with health professionals to improve care services and campaign for change. We are here for the young and the old, for those struggling to make ends meet, for families and loved ones and we fight tirelessly, giving our total support, to improve the lives of kidney patients and their families.
It is an exciting time to join Kidney Care UK. Over the last four years we have more than quadrupled the number of individuals and organisation supporting the charity to more than 4,000 a year and nearly trebled non-legacy income to £460k in 2020 (up 6% on 2019).
The charity is set to build on this success and invest in an accelerated programme of supporter recruitment, engagement, and development, building non-legacy income to £700k in 2021 and to more than £2m by 2024.
The fundraising assistant will provide fundraising and administrative support to our fundraising department. You will help build and maintain effective relationships with our supporters, which includes our challenge event participants, individual givers, community supporters and volunteers by providing excellent stewardship and support. The role will also support our income process and database administration.
This role will be hands on within a busy fundraising team and has the potential for you to learn and develop a variety of fundraising skills.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- To be the first point of contact for all fundraising enquiries that come in by telephone, email and post
- Provide excellent support and stewardship to our supporters, challenge event participants, individual givers, community supporters and volunteers.
- To support the charities income and financial reconciliation processes
- To record and send fundraising information, materials, and support to those raising money for us, including sending out their welcome packs and t-shirts
- Ensure thank you letters/certificates and emails are written in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Proactively use the fundraising database (Harlequin) to develop and manage supporters and ensure all activity and correspondence is recorded accurately, as well as supporting our team’s financial processes
- To develop an in-depth knowledge and understanding of our fundraising activity and to maintain the processes behind registration and online giving platforms
- Help keep track of our fundraising merchandise stock and merchandise and reorder when necessary
- Help to actively promote participation in our fundraising events to supporters
- Build, manage and maintain rewarding relationships with existing and new supporters and colleagues and teams across Kidney Care UK.
- Support the promotion of marketing activity through our digital and social media channels
- Continuously aim to improve the efficiency of administration processes necessary for the smooth running of the fundraising department.
- General fundraising/administration duties, as and when required, to ensure the smooth running of the whole department including assisting in other team projects when they arise.
- To represent Kidney Care UK on occasion at challenge events and other events activity
Key relationships (internal) - Fundraising team | marketing & communications team | wider charity
Key relationships (external) - Fundraisers, donors, supporters, and volunteers |suppliers
Qualifications and Experience
- Good level of education including GCSE English and Mathematics (essential)
- Experience of communicating with a wide range of individuals and organisations and across a variety of channels or media (essential)
- Experience of working in a charity or fundraising environment (desirable)
- Experience of using a fundraising database (desirable)
- Experience of building supporter/customer relationships (essential)
Knowledge and Skills
- Good IT skills including using word, excel and outlook packages (essential)
- Good verbal and written communication skills (essential)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team (essential)
- Ability to prioritise work and to respond to supporters in a timely manner (essential)
- An understanding of digital and social media channels (desirable)
- Flexibility and willingness to travel and attend events outside normal office hours (desirable)
- Basic understanding of fundraising regulations, data protection and best practice in capturing and recording data (desirable)
- An understanding of living with a long-term medical condition (desirable)
- An empathy with the charity’s mission (desirable)
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.