Location: London (Mainly home based / with some travel to London base on a monthly basis).
Salary Details: £37,000 (includes London Weighting where applicable)
Role Type: Permanent (4 to 5 Days a week)
KIDS is a national charity, founded in 1970, that provides a wide range of services to disabled children, young people and their families in England. Last year, 13,700 disabled children from birth to 25 years benefitted from our work. Our services include: drop-in crèches and nurseries for the under 5s to youth clubs, short breaks and residential stays for young adults. Commissioners and users appreciate the high quality of our information, advice and mediation services and 96% of parents say they are happy with the KIDS services they receive.
We aim to empower disabled children and young people to develop their skills and achieve their aspirations. We create opportunities for them to take part in play, learning, leisure, skills training and social activities. Our success is based upon building a close partnership with parents, carers and siblings and helping them find solutions to the obstacles they meet in daily life.
About The Role
The role of Communications Manager is a new position situated in the Fundraising Team at KIDS.
As a champion of rights and opportunities for disabled children, young people and their families, you’ll craft a communications strategy, key messages, build influential audiences and shape the brand for a national charity. You’ll be expert in developing successful online platforms and marketing; experienced in engaging key audiences of influencers, media and networks to drive support; strategic and driven by the voices of stakeholders.
To be able to carry out this role we would expect you to have the following experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience in a senior communications role, building and delivering successful communications strategies
- Experience of building key messages, policies and positions, working collaboratively and incorporating the voices of stakeholders
- Proven track record of securing support from influencers, such as parliamentarians, local government representatives, civil servants
- Experience of networking and developing relationships with key individuals
- Evidence of delivering increased engagement on digital platforms and social media
- Experience of working with press, tv, radio and other media
- Ability to plan, organise and work under own initiative and to meet agreed deadlines by prioritising and managing own workload
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including excellent ability to tell engaging stories in writing and verbally
- Ability to deliver inspirational presentations to a variety of audiences clearly, concisely and confidently
- To be able to carry out this role it is desirable that you have the following characteristics:
- Experience of working in a communications or public affairs role for a national charity
- An understanding of how to create accessible communications for disabled and disadvantaged people
- Experience of running awareness raising campaigns
- Experience of line management
- Some out-of-hours work will be required for this role
- This is a full Time, 36 hours per week (4 days per week considered or with full time working compressed into four days per week)
- The role is predominantly home-working with some travel to London base on a monthly basis.
- We value lived experience, and even if you do not meet 100% of the person specification we encourage you to apply.
- No explicit education or qualifications are required
Closing Date: Monday 11 October 2021
If you would like find out more about this position, please click the apply button. You will be directed to our website where you can download the job description and complete the online application process.
KIDS is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All children and young people we work with must, at all times, feel safe. KIDS practices safer recruitment. For certain roles successful applicants will be required to carry out a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
KIDS is a disability Confident Committed Employer and an equal opportunities employer. We actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
No agencies please.