King's College London are looking for a driven and dynamic Clinical Lead to lead and oversee clinical engagement with our Sierra Leonean partners.
This post is based in Freetown and has a critical role in making the connection between the broader strategic, management, training and policy work of King's Sierra Leone Partnership (KSLP) and the realities of daily clinical activity at Connaught hospital.
The focus of this role is on relationship building with senior hospital staff, working alongside and providing technical advice to those staff when required. The clinical manager is required to line manage and support a team of KSLP clinical staff and volunteers working to overcome challenges, identify opportunities, and ensure harmonisation of activities across KSLP, and alignment with priorities identified by Sierra Leonean partners, as well as with on-going initiatives at the hospital.
Technical input will also be required into the development of new and current grants to ensure activities are aligned with priorities of the hospital and demonstrate sustainability. For this role, it is important to engage in clinical activity on occasion to understand the hospital functions and support partners - however this will be a limited part of the role, the main focus is on health system strengthening, with a focus on supporting the strengthening of Connaught Hospital and the professional development of Sierra Leonean colleagues.
KSLP currently works across a range of clinical areas including emergency medicine; infectious diseases; anaesthesia, critical care and surgery; general medicine; dentistry; mental health; medical and health professions education. The successful candidate should have the technical knowledge and experience to strategically direct these projects and provide advice to project teams and the senior leadership of Connaught Hospital.
The Clinical Lead is part of the management team of KSLP, led by the Country Director, who are responsible for delivering the vision, mission and values of the King’s Global Health Partnerships in Sierra Leone to deliver a programme of health system strengthening in conjunction with key partners in Sierra Leone: Connaught Hospital, the College of Medicine and Allied Health Sciences and the Ministry of Health and Sanitation. The Clinical Lead will oversee a multidisciplinary clinical team of around 10-15 staff and volunteers.
Key responsibilities and objectives of the job include to:
• Oversee the development and implementation of clinical projects and develop KSLP clinical engagement strategy.
• Consult and develop relationships with implementation partners in country and internationally within these projects.
• Support development of Connaught Hospital strategy
• Coordinate with other projects to identify and develop synergy between all KSLP undertakings and ensure they present a holistic approach to improvement.
• Manage and support the clinical team, as well as supporting relationships with the wider KSLP team, ensuring continuous professional development and pastoral support in line with KGHP processes.
• Participate as a member of KSLP management team and contribute to relevant cross-partnerships discussions.
• Lead and maintain strong and supportive relationships with clinical leadership at Connaught Hospital.
• Provide technical advice to partners and key institutions and help identify partners to bring in additional technical advice where required.
• Provide technical input to grant development and management.
• Actively engage in opportunities for clinical collaboration with other KGHP programmes.