A world where all young people flourish, regardless of their background.
Who We Are
LTSB is a social mobility charity that works with bright young people from disadvantaged backgrounds, ensuring they find meaningful, skilled careers – and that firms get positive, effective employees who can make a difference from their first day.
Our four key responsibilities are:
- Promoting opportunities to those from backgrounds that are not normally reached
- Preparing young people for the workplace, and the workplace for young people
- Providing context for their application, and stewarding the hiring process
- Pastoral care – an additional support network for the first phase of their career
We don’t just get young people jobs. We launch careers. When diverse talent is given preparation and support, they don’t just get by, they thrive – and that means more representative management which can better train and retain a more representative workforce. For historic information, please see our Impact Report on our website: www.ltsb.charity
The Finance team consists of a Finance Director and a Finance Administrator role.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, the Finance Director is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial management of the LTSB, and provides commercial focus, leading on financial compliance and governance and overseeing strong and effective financial administrative functions and reporting. With overall responsibility for the charity’s finance function, you will play a significant role as a senior member of the leadership team to ensure the charity can achieve its mission in the most effective and efficient way possible. The FD manages the Finance Administrator who undertakes the day-to-day financial administration.
Day-to-day financial management
- Ensure relevant and accurate records are kept, filings made, and taxes paid as required by HMRC (in respect of Payroll, corporation tax and VAT), pension agencies, Companies’ House and the Charity Commission.
- Develop and enhance the financial and management reporting systems to meet the strategic and operational needs of the Trust including the identification and implementation of suitable software, and upgrades to existing software and office systems to improve processes and systems to bring about efficiencies.
- Ensure compliance with statutory accounting and regulatory requirements of financial and charity governance matters.
- Prepare the annual accounts in accordance with relevant statutory and accounting reporting standards and auditing requirements.
- Liaise with external auditors in relation to the annual audit and any management recommendations raised by the auditors.
- Oversee the management and reporting of all funds received from external funders. Ensure that accurate restricted fund accounts are maintained and that the financial records comply with funder reporting requirements.
- Supervise the Finance Administrator.
- Keep the CEO and Finance Committee informed of material developments on a regular and ad-hoc basis as required.
Strategic financial planning and management
- Prepare quarterly and annual management accounts, including income and expenditure accounts, balance sheet, cash flows, financial performance indicators and supporting notes for the Finance Committee and Trustee Board quarterly meetings.
- Be responsible for the budgeting and forecasting process for the organisation and provide appropriate reporting, variance analysis and support for decision making to the CEO, SLT and Board.
- Developing and leading LTSB’s finance strategy, optimising the charity’s financial performance and strategic position.
- Providing strategic leadership in relation to LTSB’s finances, advising on matters of compliance, risk, and contract performance.
- Accountable to the Finance Committee of the Board for all financial, risk and audit matters working closely with the CEO and Board to achieve a high quality of governance for LTSB.
- Ensure LTSB’s legal and governance responsibilities are undertaken and executed in a robust and transparent way, with trustees updated on any relevant legal and/or governance changes.
- Maintain up-to-date corporate documents and ensuring that all required documents are filed at Companies House and Charities Commission within the requisite deadlines.
- Undertaking any other duties and projects as may be assigned by the CEO or the Board of Trustees.
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) with strong financial systems and experience working as a finance director.
- Outstanding and influential leader with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
- Demonstrable commitment to LTSB’s vision and values.
- Experience of financial statement preparation and audit process management.
- Experience of preparing board papers and presenting to boards.
- Experience of managing grant finances and contract compliance.
- Commercially aware.
- Experience of preparing and submitting VAT returns under the partial exemption method.
- Experience of working in the charity sector with good knowledge of charity accounting.
- Experience of overseeing the development of organisational policies, procedures and systems.
- We have recently moved from Quickbooks to Oracle Netsuite accounting software so candidates with a good working knowledge of at least one of these systems would be ideal, although experience of using any similar cloud accounting system would be advantageous for the role
Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical financial and management accounting skills.
- Strong IT skills with advanced Excel skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines with good prioritisation and time management skills.
- Proven financial analysis, cashflow management and forecasting ability.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills (verbal and written).
- Proven ability to produce and interpret management accounts
- Proven ability to provide support, and guidance to non-financial managers and colleagues.
- The ability to manage a varied and pressured workload.
- Highly motivated and autonomous.
This job description is intended to summarise the main duties and responsibilities of the post and is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All LTSB staff members are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
This role is ideal for an experienced Finance Director who is seeking flexible hours and home working. Although the FD would need to attend meetings in London they could be based anywhere in the UK. This is a home-based role, and our team works independently with no central office.
To apply, please submit a CV and cover letter in Word format, when prompted to attach documents, explaining how you meet the person specification and why you would like to work at LTSB in this role.
Please note, all candidates will need to have the right to work in the UK to be considered for this position.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 29th May 2022. Applications received after this point will not be considered.
First stage interviews will be held by Zoom during w/c 6th June. Second stage interviews will be held in London on Wednesday 15th June.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.