The Association of Volunteer Managers (AVM) is an independent membership body that aims to support, represent and champion people in volunteer management across the UK regardless of field, discipline or sector. It has been set up by and for people who manage volunteers.
The aims and objectives of the Association of Volunteer Managers are to promote the management of volunteers for the benefit of the public by:
- liaising with charities, voluntary organisations, government agencies, private sector bodies and other groups on relevant issues;
- providing information, advice, training, conferences and seminars on subjects relevant to the management of volunteers;
- providing information to the press and the public on the management of volunteers;
- acting as a representative of volunteer managers in relation to policies and legislation.
We are looking for a Learning & Development Officer to join AVM. The main objective of the role will be to plan, manage, market and deliver a schedule of high quality learning and development events/activities with the purpose of creating significant revenue, growing our membership and promoting AVM’s reputation and profile.
- Hours per week: 35 including occasional breakfast meetings, evenings & weekends
- Holidays: 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- Salary: £26,500 per annum
- Fixed Term Contract: 18 months, with the possibility of an extension
- Start date: Beginning of May
Key tasks and Responsibilities
- To create a nationwide calendar of learning and development, and membership engagement, events and activities, from initial research right through to on the day delivery; which serve the objectives of AVM and add value to our membership offers.
- To promote and market the events and other benefits of AVM to attract new and retain current members.
- To support the establishment of regional/country networks, working in partnership to create a UK wide calendar of events.
- To manage budget and resources effectively to maximise income generation.
- To develop and manage AVM learning and development events/activities by:
- Researching & identifying opportunities for events/activities, including sourcing speakers/facilitators
- Producing detailed event management plans with targets, promotion strategies, budgets and timetables
- Creating and executing a marketing plan and schedule including: copy writing for social media, emails, newsletters and the AVM website
- Securing and booking suitable venues
- Ensuring health and safety obligations are met including risk assessments and safety procedures
- Organising facilities including: booking and testing equipment; refreshments, venue set up, signage, delegate special requirements, car parking and first aid
- Coordinating staff, volunteer and Directors briefings for events/activities
- Planning room layouts and scheduling workshops, networking space, plenary and breakouts sessions
- Creating materials/resources for delegate packs and where appropriate publishing presentations, resources and materials online
- Ensuring effective systems are in place for hosting delegates and handling their queries and troubleshooting on the day of the event to ensure that all runs smoothly
- Setting up and managing events through Eventbrite, linking the bookings with the membership process to ensure a great customer experience; including processing and chasing up of payments, managing and raising invoices, managing bookings and related queries
- Continuing to improve our events booking and payment systems and delegate experience
- Working with the Membership Admin function and Directors to manage and maintain membership records.
- To produce an evaluation report for each event/activity, preparing a bi annual report for the Board and making recommendation for improvements to our events/activities programme and ways of working etc.
- Provide a high quality customer service to delegates, members and partners, answering queries in a professional and timely manner
- To liaise with the membership admin function to align events communications with all other forms of AVM communications. To align membership queries with event/activity bookings.
- Improve the experience, systems and processes for members/delegates.
- To produce monthly newsletters for members and non-members about AVM, including the events/activities, the work of AVM and external information/news
- To build relationships with members and other useful organisations for promotional and sponsorship purposes.
- To work with the AVM board to improve the benefits and value of membership.
Skills, interests and experience
- Strong experience of designing and co-ordinating learning events, a track record of delivering excellent learning and development events/activities
- Significant event management experience
- Understanding of the voluntary sector and role of the volunteer manager
- Experience of writing for a variety of formats and audiences
- Experience of using databases and managing bookings, membership and payments
- The ability to multi-task and stay calm under pressure
- To be highly organised, conscientious and pay attention to detail with the ability to take responsibility to ensure commitments are met in the agreed timeframes
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a confident, polite manner and good customer service skills
- Initiative, enthusiasm and a problem-solving approach to new challenges
- Proven ability of working alone and with remote teams
- Proven experience of setting up effective processes and systems from scratch
- Computer literate and ability to use Microsoft Office package
- Business acumen – the ability to recognise opportunity and to understand business principles such as return on investment
- Effective project management skills
- Budget holding experience
- Event marketing experience, including role of social media
- Experience of working with a membership or professional membership organisation
How to apply
- Send a cover letter and CV to Fiona Wallace stating why you’re right for this position and why you would like to work with us.
- Please note the deadline is midday, Friday 24th March 2017 and interviews will take place in the week commencing 3rd April 2017. We are looking for a candidate who can start in early May.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.