Job Title: Head of Communications
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week (Flexible and part time working offered by agreement)
Salary: circa £50,000 per annum
Deadline: 1 November 2021
We’re looking for an exceptional individual with strategic communication and leadership skills who can help drive our ambitious plan to be the number one healthcare charity of choice in the region. If that sounds like you, then apply below!
Leeds Hospitals Charity
Leeds Hospitals Charity is proud to support Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. The Trust comprises seven hospitals and a dental institute, including Leeds General Infirmary, St James’s University Hospital, Leeds Children’s Hospital and Leeds Cancer Centre. At Leeds Hospitals Charity, we work with NHS staff to improve the experience of patients and families. We are passionate about healthcare and about making our hospitals amazing.
Reporting directly to the Communications Director, the Head of Communications will work closely with the Executive Team to promote the Charity’s ambitious strategy. You will also work closely with the Head of Grants to promote our funding priorities, be responsible for overseeing the fast-paced work of our Appeals Communications Manager and direct our bold external relations activities - with the aim of engaging and inspiring people from all parts of the city and beyond. We’re looking for an exceptional individual with strategic leadership skills who can help and support the wider team during this time of growth to deploy key messages across various channels. This is a brand-new role for the organisation as we develop our vision for the future.
• Can lead the development and implementation of effective external communications strategies, including innovative and proactive media relations activity.
• Can directly manage a Communications Manager to effectively build the case for new and current appeals, in particular the appeal for the Rob Burrow Centre for MND.
• Will work independently to identify good news opportunities and deliver a proactive public affairs strategy - featuring advocacy, stakeholder development and sharing of our transformational stories.
• Can develop and deliver content on a range of offline and online channels, so our content and messages reach the diverse community of Leeds.
• Has the ability to build upon the impact reputation of the Charity and deliver effective responses to reputational risk and crisis management.
• Can track, record and develop operational plans for key projects, offering solutions to problems and creating performance reports on outputs.
• Provides overall editorial control of Leeds Hospitals Charity publications and work with the wider marketing team to ensure consistency in communications and our imagery is evaluated to be non-offensive
• Have proven experience leading a communications team in a similar organisation.
• Have experience in communicating complex and multi-faceted information to a wide range of audiences.
• Have the ability to build and maintain relationships with an extensive range of press tv and other media outlets.
• Have experience managing budgets and suppliers to deliver best value for money.
• Be able to write compelling and emotional copy and tailor it for different mediums and different audiences.
• Have experience in using PR monitoring systems
• Have excellent attention to detail.
• Be able to think strategically, developing PR functions and communication strategies.
• Be a self-starter, capable of working remotely and as part of a team, whilst working on multiple projects at the same time.
Charity Benefits Include:
Employee Assistance Programmes
AIG Life Group Protection
Car Lease Scheme
One year free gym membership
Buy Additional Holidays
If you are disabled and have the essential skills and experience to do the job, we will invite you to an interview. Please advise on your covering letter if you consider yourself to have a disability.
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your up-to-date CV with a covering letter.
Closing date for application is 1 November 2021.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive we are unable to provide feedback at the shortlisting stage. If you have not heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.