Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) seeks an enthusiastic and committed human resources and compliance manager to be based in London. This is an exciting opportunity to work with an ambitious, enthusiastic and diverse team of human rights lawyers and jurists from Africa, the Middle East, South Asia and Europe. This role will work closely with LAW’s Senior Management Team, including LAW’s Executive Director, to ensure the smooth operation of LAW’s offices around the globe.
Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) is a unique non-profit network and think tank of lawyers which provides creative legal assistance in fragile and conflict-affected areas and places national lawyers at the forefront of legal change. LAW uses advocacy, research, legal empowerment and strategic litigation to bring about this change. LAW’s thematic focuses include: Addressing Sexual and Gender-based Violence; Accountability; Natural Resource Exploitation/displacement; and Transitional Justice. LAW’s Advisory Council and Board are comprised of senior international lawyers who advise LAW on the development of innovative litigation and legal strategies.
LAW’s ground-breaking work has received international media coverage, including in the New York Times, the Times of London, the Guardian, Al-Jazeera, France24, Voice of America, Huffington Post and Foreign Policy.
Job title: Human Resources and Compliance Manager
Reports to: Executive Director
Role: Ensure the necessary human resources and operational support systems are in place for the rapid and effective mobilisation and management of LAW personnel. Oversight and support on governance related issues, including regulatory compliance of LAW offices around the world.
Responsibilities and tasks:
1. Human Resources and Administrative systems
- Develop, review and or update human resource and administrative policies and procedures (compliant with LAW systems) and ensure they are effective, efficient, fair and transparent, and promote equal opportunities. Ensure policies are compliant with the People in Aid Code and any other relevant international legal instruments.
- Develop, review and or update human resource policies and procedures for recruitment and management of national and international staff (terms & conditions of employment, grades, steps & positions, salary structure, benefits, disciplinary procedures, termination). Ensure compliance with local labour laws and coordination with local LAW entities.
- Assist/ support managers in their needs or ascertain human resource requirements.
- Ensure a complete orientation package is in place and that all new staff are oriented on time, including through management of LAW emails.
2. Recruitment and staffing
- Identify and recruit new and replacement staff including scheduling of contract extensions, new contracts, and necessary terminations.
- Prepare job descriptions, terms of reference and submission of personnel requisitions in coordination with Country Offices and Line Managers/Supervisors.
- Prepare regular recruitment tracking reports. Ensure pertinent organograms, contact lists, and information flow lines are constantly updated and widely shared within LAW.
- Coordinate travel of LAW Executive (itinerary, ticketing, accommodation, BER reports)
- Establish and maintain personnel files. Ensure all emergency data forms/ safety are filled
- Management of all insurance arrangements, including medical insurance (including medical evacuation insurance), office insurance, kidnap insurance, travel insurance, personal liability insurance.
- Oversight and management of LAW’s online database, Sharepoint.
- Coordination of performance appraisals. Ensure that performance appraisal of all staff is safely filed with LAW’s Headquarters.
4. Staff development and training:
- Ensure all staff, international and national, always have adequate access to HR/Administrative policies and procedures;
- Monitor and uphold staff conduct and discipline and organise regular performance evaluations of all staff. Ensure that exit interviews/ debriefs are prepared at the end of service;
- Coordination and oversight of all staff training, including through LAW’s Annual Global Retreat.
5. Safety and Security
- Work closely with and provide support to the Security Officer/Manager (s) to:
- Ensure all personnel have received briefing on country or regional security threats, medical and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Ensure that security measures are practiced and enforced to maintain as possible a safe and secure working/ living environment for LAW staff.
- Ensure staff know how to identify health risks in the region, how to protect against illness, injury and stress, and how to obtain support or medical treatment. Initiates and oversees the implementation of a Psychological Support Program.
- Ensure all staff understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security.
- Managing LAW regulatory compliance across European offices (UK, Netherlands, Switzerland);
- Assisting field office heads in ensuring local governance/ regulatory compliance;
- Ensuring compliance with donor requirements, deadlines and reporting;
- Ensuring LAW teams meet deadlines for the submission of funding proposals (and contributing necessary governance/ operations/ logistics documentation as required.
Minimum qualifications, requirements and competencies:
- A minimum of three years’ experience in human resources management, professional designation preferred
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or other equivalent Bachelors Degree
- A sound knowledge of employment laws and good knowledge of employment contracts.
- Experience with an International NGO and recruitment process is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player and is able to support local and international staff.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills in English and working knowledge of French.
- Able to work effectively and accurately on multiple tasks and manage own deadlines.
- Proficiency in information technology/ computer skills.
Deadline for applications: 21 August 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview;LAW is an equal opportunity employer.