This is an excellent opportunity if you wish to develop your career in marketing and communications. Any necessary training will be provided for the successful candidate. You should be proactive, enthusiastic and excited about becoming part of a team looking to develop and implement the charity’s communication plans.
Duties and responsibilities
By working with the Communications and Fundraising Manager and Communications and Fundraising Director:
- Plan, develop and implement communications and marketing activities to underpin the strategic plan
- Be responsible for developing our quarterly magazine, Leukaemia Matters from content creation to design, layout and print
- Understanding of science communications, translating complex medical information into easily accessible language
- Writing compelling content and devising new ideas to market our activities
- Project manage and implement the activities involved in the marketing and communications of services, campaigns and fundraising activities
At the request and under the direction of the Communications and Fundraising Manager:
- Create, plan, source, research and manage the publication and distribution of marketing and communication materials. Adhere to brand guidelines, house style and continuity
- Develop our magazine, Leukaemia Matters making sure that the articles appeal to our readers
- Create engaging, audience-focused content. Write, edit and proofread material for use in different channels
- Develop communications using the database, email and automated marketing systems
- Communicate complex topics, including medical and scientific information to patients, their families and the general public
- Deliver a wide range of projects in line with the communication strategy to enhance our reputation and influence, support income growth, and help create a sense of common purpose across the organisation
- Collaborate with colleagues to produce content in line with service, advocacy, campaigns, fundraising and organisational priorities
- Create engaging new content for emails, appeals, magazines, social media and the website(s)
- Write press releases and communicate with the media
- Work with the Communications team to develop topical content – both in writing and for video
- Plan and develop new marketing campaigns
- Organise a schedule, communications plan and calendar for each event, service and activity
- Liaise with the Patient Services Manager and the Patient Advocacy Manager to develop communication and promotional materials about services, activities and fundraising
- Use social media to identify potential candidates to be involved in media campaigns at both a local and national level
- Assist with enquiries over the phone and by email.
Analysis and Impact
- Analyse the impact of our activities and effective methods of communicating
- Analyse the impact of communications and prepare measurement reports using agreed metrics
- Report on the progress of the marketing and communications activities internally, including recommendations and areas of improvement
- Understand and consider where each project fits within the wider programme of work
- Keep pace with new communication opportunities, innovations and technologies to ensure that all opportunities are maximised
In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities outlined in this job description, all Leukaemia Care employees should be aware of their specific responsibilities towards the following:
- Uphold the values of the charity and to not behave in a manner that is likely to bring the charity into disrepute.
- Adhere to all health and safety and fire regulations and to co-operate with the charity in maintaining good standards of health and safety.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning and development and to participate in any training relevant to the role.
This job description is not exhaustive. It acts as a guide and may be amended to meet the changing requirements of the charity at any time after discussion with the post holder.
Skills / Abilities
- Outstanding writing skills, with the ability to draft a variety of documents
- Highly creative and able to turn ideas into action
- Ability to translate complex medical and scientific information into easily accessible language and content
- Ability to analyse data from different sources including databases and social media analytics
- Self-motivated with the capacity to work on own initiative and as part of a small team.
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Able to carry out office administration tasks as part of role
- IT literate (MS Office preferable)
- Strong telephone skills – negotiation and understanding skills
- Experience of producing reports.
- Understanding of relationship databases
- Understanding of how to devise and implement an effective communications plan
- Experience communicating about fundraising and donations
- Understanding of how social media can be used to campaign
Knowledge and understanding
Understanding of science communications
Understanding of the issues and needs of people with a blood cancer
Qualifications, training and education
Degree (2.1 or 1st preferred), relevant professional qualification and/or demonstrable experience
Degree in marketing, science communications, business, journalism, English or related topics.
Experience in a communications, marketing or campaigns role
- Worked within the charity sector
- Worked with health topics
- A good team player – able to link in and work well with a range of people within the organisation.
- Ability to manage own workload
- Able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the role with sufficient notice.
- High levels of motivation, when working alone or with a team.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Confident, enthusiastic
Comfortable working from both the office and home
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.