The Development and Communications Manager is responsible for a broad range of development activities supporting Lewa’s fundraising goals. He/she plays a critical role in designing and implementing communications to secure gifts globally; takes the lead on creating coordinated global communications plans in consultation with Lewa’s Head of Communications, based in Kenya; and builds and maintains relationships with international media houses and press to amplify Lewa’s brand visibility and messaging.
The Development & Communications Manager is a new position and key member of an effective nine-staff development team, led by the International Executive Director. Lewa’s international team is currently based across the USA and UK, working in close collaboration with the team in Kenya. As a result, there is scope for the role to be based in either of these countries (ideally in commutable distance of New York or London if so), or potentially elsewhere.
This position reports to the Deputy Director of Development, currently based in New York, for day-to-day management, and ultimately reports to Lewa’s International Executive Director, currently based in London. The position sits within Lewa’s International Fundraising Department.
This challenging role demands a highly organized, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial individual with strong communications skills and the ability to work independently. The post holder will have a solid understanding of fundraising processes and the importance of data management, nonprofit administration, budget oversight, and will be passionate about contributing to high standards of excellence. A deep commitment and interest in wildlife conservation and environmental causes is advantageous.
Occasional domestic and international travel will require adjustments in personal schedule.
1. Support Fundraising Through Communications
Work closely with Lewa’s Head of Communications and the Deputy Director of Development to:
- Develop and implement a fundraising communications plan to achieve targets that increase revenue and support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Utilize email, social media, and direct mail to create and implement an annual donor solicitation and stewardship plan for donors giving less than $10,000, representing 85% of the Intl Lewa donor base.
- Achieve an annual gift renewal target, increasing giving for this donor group by at least 10% annually.
- Contribute to the global delivery of Lewa’s key messaging to all audiences (including Lewa NextGen, our outreach to the next generation of younger conservationists).
- Develop strategies to raise Lewa Wildlife Conservancy’s visibility globally and attract new donors via communications and events, particularly supporting expansion into new territories.
2. Media & Partner Communications Engagement
- Draft and distribute press releases and announcements to the media; schedule and conduct media interviews; provide background documents to prepare staff for interviews; respond to queries from reporters or questions from our general audience.
- Prepare plans for deepening and expanding Lewa’s media contacts in consultation with Lewa’s Head of Communications, based in Kenya;
- Carry out due diligence in external communications and engagement plans with potential partners, media collaboration exercises, and surface new audiences alongside fundraising opportunities.
- Attend events and ensure Lewa is well represented / raise Lewa’s profile as required.
3. Communications Materials
- Produce clear, impactful materials that align with Lewa’s key messaging and branding for fundraising & donor management, creating a strong case for support, which also heightens Lewa’s reputation as a centre for conservation best practice (e.g. presentations and pitch decks, program overviews, brochures, pamphlets, etc.).
- Review and catalogue press coverage where Lewa Wildlife Conservancy, partners, or international entities are mentioned. Summarize articles and circulate reports regularly for team and Board Members.
- Regularly review the functioning, effectiveness and impact of communications efforts and materials, backed by data.
4. Digital Fundraising
- Develop content and design online campaigns, launch and manage campaign pages.
- Make suggestions for improvements to Lewa’s current online donation platform or alternatives.
- Explore peer-to-peer fundraising opportunities and support donors in leading their own online fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the Data & Administration Manager to track progress and report on the success and impact of fundraising campaigns.
- Help keep the website updated with latest press coverage and newsletters, ensuring a consistent and positive user experience, correct program details and messaging for potential donors visiting the website.
5. Events & board meeting support
- Support the production of online events, including webinars and informational sessions for donors.
- Assist the team and volunteers in planning and managing major events as needed.
- Support team in preparations for International Board meetings.
Qualifications and Competencies
This challenging role demands a highly organized, detail-oriented, entrepreneurial individual with strong communications skills and the ability to work independently. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate a genuine commitment towards Lewa’s mission and vision.
The post holder must demonstrate:
Track record of success in fundraising from individual, foundation and corporate donors. He/she must be able to identify, solicit, engage and steward current and new donors utilizing a wide variety of mediums.
Excellent written & verbal skills in English, great attention to detail and commitment to high standards is required.
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit fundraising processes, revenue tracking, and understanding of best practices and industry standards.
- Ability to initiate and complete long-term projects and manage time-sensitive daily activities, and flexibility to do so when working remotely from home or in a shared office environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity and ability to foster positive working relationships that contribute to a healthy organizational culture in a multinational, multicultural environment.
- Creativity and basic design sense/skills to develop compelling materials promoting Lewa’s work.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently against pressing deadlines, with problem solving mindset.
- Ability to work in harmony with teammates, enthusiastic contributor to team goals, and able to accept and incorporate feedback.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and integrity.
- Dedicated and on-going commitment to personal professional development.
- Willingness to adapt schedule and work outside of typical hours when required.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Relevant University degree required.
- 5+ years experience in similar role leading fundraising and communications efforts at a conservation or sustainable development NGO in an international setting.
- Experience and understanding of social media and digital engagement.
- Experience pitching successful stories and interacting with the news media to ensure deadlines are met, staff are prepared and long-term relationships with journalists are established.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office and use of a CRM database (Lewa currently uses Salesforce).
- Strong skills in PowerPoint, Photoshop or InDesign and email marketing platforms like Mailchimp, Constant Contact, Campaign Monitor, etc. highly preferred.
- Experience in conservation sector desired; passion and appreciation of wildlife conservation and community development is essential.
- A general-to-good understanding of the Kenyan/African social-political context is essential. Experience in Kenya, East Africa and or other parts of Africa is desirable.
- Lewa provides a competitive salary between $65,000 and $75,000 depending where based/ level of experience, plus holiday compensation package
- Health insurance and 403(b) qualified tax advantaged retirement plan/ equivalent provided.
- Ability to work from home.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.