Purpose of job
To deliver election success in priority areas across the West Midlands, with a clear objective of putting “more gold on the map” – be it Lib Dem MPs, Lib Dem-led Councils, Lib Dem Mayors or Lib Dem PCCs.
1. Working in partnership with the Regional Party and LDHQ, ensure there is an up to date Regional Development Plan in place covering every local party in the Region, and maintain a rolling overview of its delivery, advising the Region on resource deployment to achieve its goals;
2. Deliver the seat support programme agreed between LDHQ and the Regional Party to develop the skills of volunteers and staff, build party capacity, and win elections;
3. Deliver targeted wins in strategically important elections – directly managing campaigns where needed;
4. Increase the take up of national campaigns and messages that grow the Liberal Democrat brand and movement;
5. Ensure good communications and relationships between the LDHQ Campaigns & Election Directorate, the Regional Party and key stakeholders – including candidates, local parties and campaign teams.
We are looking for a strong campaigner who can deliver campaign and election success for the Liberal Democrats.
The heart of this role is working closely with local staff and volunteers to support the development of local campaigning in key areas through our seat support programme.
You’ll be a confident person, with strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships.
You’ll be a person at ease with the latest online and offline campaign techniques.
Ideally you will have been part of multiple successful election campaigns and will have a strong understanding of what it takes to win.
You will be able to demonstrate a record of election, fundraising and capacity-building success, with an instinctive sense of what makes an effective political message.
You will have sound political judgement, an in-depth understanding of voters, and will know what it takes for candidates to cross the winning line.
You will be well organised and able to work without supervision in a challenging environment. A good temperament that allows you to deal with the unexpected is a must.
You will need strong leadership and communications skills, and must also show a willingness to innovate, experiment, and share best practice.
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety in their work and working with teams with differing needs and levels of development.
Essential Skills and Experience
1. Campaign management experience
2. Strong political messaging and graphic design in the political context
3. Excellent organisational and planning skills
4. The ability to inspire and develop the skills of volunteers and staff
5. Strong verbal and written communication skills
6. A clear understanding of how to engage with members and voters
7. Confidence with data, CRM and digital campaign tools
8. Experience working with volunteers
9. A full clean driving licence and access to a vehicle 10. Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
Desirable Skills and Experience
11. Experience of management, including remote management
12. Experience of fundraising
13. Experience of using Nationbuilder, Lib Dem Connect and Affinity Publisher (or the predecessor package Page Plus)
14. Experience of delivering training, coaching and mentoring