To manage major donor fundraising, communications & events and serve as a key member of the Liberal Democrats Fundraising Team.
This is an exciting time to join the Liberal Democrats and to be working in British politics. We had our best result ever in the European parliamentary elections, electing 16 MEPs and garnering a 20% national vote share; we also achieved a record-breaking result in the May 2019 local elections, gaining over 700 new councillors across England. Our Exit from Brexit campaign has been a major force in mobilising public opinion in favour of a People’s Vote; our party membership is at an all-time high of 100,000; and we are in the midst of electing a new Leader who will take the Party forward and further build on the growth and success we have achieved. We are also preparing for a People’s Vote or a general election [or both] which could take place later this year or in early 2020.
You will be joining an experienced fundraising team that is focused on mobilising support from major donors to enable further growth across the Party and to help fund future elections. We have ambitious targets to reach in the years ahead, and we are looking for a highly organised, motivated, and entrepreneurial team member with strong fundraising skills and an interest in politics.
- Cultivate and engage major donors through communications, events and individual relationship-building;
- Identify, research and make contact with new prospects, securing individual meetings or their attendance at donor events;
- Plan and execute a strategic programme of donor events throughout the year;
- Draft donor communications, proposals and prospect research briefs;
- Promote legacies within the Party and record all legacy enquiries, pledges and gifts.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial, motivated and highly organised individual who will thrive in an externally-facing role and a fast-paced work environment.
Essential Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years of experience in major donor fundraising or similar field;
- Confident communicator who is able to approach donors and prospects to engage with them on supporting the Liberal Democrats;
- Self-starter with strong organisational and project management skills;
- Excellent writing skills and experience in drafting materials and communications for donors;
- Flexibility to work some evenings throughout the year and to travel outside of London for our party conferences;
- Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience with donor research and drafting briefing documents;
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge database;
- Experience with legacy fundraising.
Please apply online on our website by attaching: -
- A copy of your CV; including complete work history
- A Covering Letter; no more than 2 pages of A4 in length, indicating clearly how your experience and skills meet the criteria stated in the job and person specification. Please also write your name on top of your supporting statement.
Closing date: Friday 21 June 2019
First round interviews will be conducted in late June and early July.
Applicants are encouraged to inform us if any reasonable adjustments are needed to be made during any part of the recruitment process.
We will notify all applicants when the process is complete.
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.