The post holder will assist and support the Liberal Democrat group in the House of Lords in their Parliamentary work. They will be the first port of call in the Whips’ Office for all Peers queries and messages. They will lead on ensuring all business is covered by Liberal Democrat Peers and take control of the production of the weekly whip. They will also lead on promoting the work of the Liberal Democrat group in the House of Lords across the country, and will support individual Peers and local party contacts in ensuring that Peers undertake a wide range of visits across the country. They will also provide occasional research support for peers taking part in debates and other business in the Lords. They may also be asked to provide some secretarial and administrative support to the Leader of the Liberal Democrats in the House of Lords (‘the Leader’) and the Liberal Democrat Chief Whip in the House of Lords (‘the Chief Whip’).
1. To ensure that all Liberal Democrat Peers are aware of the business in the House of Lord
2. To liaise with Peers to ensure business responsibilities are allocated, and that business in the House of Lords is covered
3. To produce, and keep control of, the weekly whip
4. Liaising with relevant groups in Parliament, as well as external organisations, on behalf of the Leader and Chief Whip, and other peers and staff as required
5. Providing research support for some peers ahead of parliamentary business
6. To work with Peers to help promote the work of the parliamentary group in the Lords across the country and within the party
7. Taking minutes at meetings where appropriate
8. Dealing with day to day queries from the Leader, Chief Whip and other members of the group in the House of Lords
9. Supporting other members of staff in the Whips’ Office, as required
10. Some evening work may occasionally be required
To be considered for this position, please submit your application by 10pm on Sunday 10th October.
Initial interviews (preferably in person) are very likely to be held on Thursday 21st October or Friday 22nd October.
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf. The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and applications are encouraged from people in groups that are under-represented in politics.