Purpose of job
The Young Liberals Development Officer will be responsible for supporting the Young Liberals, ensuring all organisational needs are met, including administrative and welfare support.
They will coordinate support for YL members and activities across LDHQ departments, especially taking a proactive lead on issues relating to Wellbeing and Welfare.
Embedded in the Campaigns & Elections team they will work with the Young Liberals Executive to ensure that party campaigns create specific opportunities to engage younger voters, that party campaign resources provide materials and advice for local parties to engage with younger voters, for YL branches to be run effectively, and that party training and mobilisation programmes cater specifically for the needs of YL members.
1. Provide the necessary administrative support to ensure the smooth running of Young Liberals, including (but not limited to) support for events, conferences and elections, membership communications, and recruitment and engagement.
2. Provide support to Young Liberals with all matters relating to Pastoral Care, including all necessary liaison between the LDHQ Wellbeing & Pastoral Officer and the YL Exec;
3. Liaise between LDHQ and the YL Executive develop national campaigns and messages that grow Liberal Democrat support amongst young people and students, and that adequate campaign resources to support these are available to YL members and local parties;
4. Work with the party’s Training Manager and the YL Executive to ensure that the party’s training offer includes a bespoke offer for younger members;
5. Work with the LDHQ FIeld Team and the YL Executive to build a network of self-sustaining YL branches, prioritising key electoral areas, including ensuring the widest possible Liberal Democrat presence at university & college Freshers Fairs, that best practice is shared and adequate records are kept to ensure sustainability over time.
We are looking for a highly organised individual, capable of multi-tasking in a fast paced-and complex political environment, and able to deal with sensitive and serious issues calmly and professionally.
The heart of this role is working closely with elected officers of the Young Liberals and ensuring consistent support for the smooth running of their organisation, whilst leveraging support for the Young Liberals and youth and student focused campaigning across LDHQ.
A good temperament that allows you to deal with the unexpected is a must. You will need strong leadership and communications skills, and must also show a willingness to innovate, experiment, and share best practice.
This role will suit someone who enjoys variety in their work and is easily adaptable; a confident self-starter with strong leadership and communication skills and the ability to build strong working relationships.
Ideally you will have been part of multiple successful election campaigns and will have a strong understanding of what it takes to win.
An understanding of elections, political campaigning, and the structures of the Liberal Democrats, will be a strong advantage.
Essential Skills and Experience
• Strong personal organisation skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong planning skills
• Professionalism and confidentiality when dealing with sensitive and welfare issues
• The ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders and colleagues, understanding their different needs and perspectives
• An understanding of political campaigning, and in particular how to engage with younger members and younger voters, including students
• Experience working with volunteers
• Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
Desirable Skills and Experience
• Experience of working with younger people
• Experience working with databases and GDPR
• Experience of using Nationbuilder, Lib Dem Connect and Affinity Publisher
• Experience of delivering training, coaching and mentoring
Please apply online on our website by attaching:
1. A copy of your CV; including complete work history;
2. A Covering Letter; no more than 1 page of A4 in length, indicating clearly how your experience and skills meet the criteria stated in the job and person specification. Please also write your name on top of your supporting statement;
We will be reviewing applications as they come in and reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
Please note: We will not be able to employ you if you are not eligible to work in the UK. We will not be able to obtain a work permit on your behalf.
The Liberal Democrats are equal opportunity employers and particularly welcome applications from groups who are currently under-represented in our staff.
The Liberal Democrats are committed to supporting the mental health and wellbeing of all of our staff. That’s why we’ve taken the Time to Change Employer Pledge. We encourage applications from persons with experience of mental health and are committed to supporting our employees to fulfil their potential and perform at their best in work.”
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.