Job title: Managing Director of Lightful Solutions
Department: Lightful Solutions
Seniority: At least 5 years of experience of running large internal teams (between 20-50 people)
Reporting to: The CEO
Direct reports: 8
Indirect reports: 13 full time, plus 6 contractors
Compensation: Highly competitive salary with stock options + other benefits
Location: Remote working, then 1-2 days in an office per week in London or Bristol
At Lightful, we believe those doing the greatest good deserve the best technology. Our products and services are designed for charities and nonprofits to simplify their work and amplify their impact.
Our journey to this point has had many successes. We work with hundreds of nonprofits and foundations each year to improve how they use digital. We are a certified B Corporation, ensuring that community, the environment and our staff are central to all of our decision making. We are a recognised Living Wage employer, and have been profiled in The Sunday Times, Forbes and Sky News. We are in The Escape 100, as one of the best companies in the UK to escape to for a career with purpose. And we are supported by a wide array of incredible investors, including Nick Mason CBE and Dario Franchitti MBE.
Lightful is a business built to create impact both in and out of the office. Our people and products support nonprofits in 58 countries around the world, organisations that are solving some of our planet's greatest challenges. Our work has helped small charities increase fundraising by 64% year on year. Since achieving B Corp status in 2020, we have created an impact out of the office too. We have planted 12,371 trees planted through our employee carbon offset programme, saved 295,497 litres of water, and offset 1,107 tonnes of Carbon Dioxide emissions through 28 global carbon reduction projects.
We are expanding our senior leadership team, with the addition of a Managing Director (MD) to drive the growth and continued excellence of one of our 3 core business units: Lightful Solutions. This role will be the lead role in Lightful Solutions, a tailor-made technology consultancy that exists to help nonprofits embrace change, with best-in-class technology solutions that are dependable, secure and effective.
This position reports directly to our CEO, and works closely alongside our Co-Founders, the MD of Lightful Products and the MD of Lightful Learning to drive and influence the long term direction, profitability and impact of Lightful.
You will have responsibility for the overall business strategy for Lightful Solutions. In this role, you will drive consistent and rapid revenue growth, lead our exceptional client delivery teams to develop Salesforce Solutions and deliver excellence to all of our clients. Internally, you will drive technological excellence in delivery, growth and development of the whole team through cross-team initiatives and continue to double our impact and our revenue year on year.
If you have a track record of driving revenue growth, have experience delivering project excellence on behalf of clients, revel in managing a multi-disciplinary and exceptionally talented team, and are looking to focus your career to create immense impact not only for this high growth scaleup, but for our clients and for our planet, then this is the role for you.
What can we offer you?
- The opportunity to join our senior leadership team, working closely with our three Co-Founders and two other Managing Directors
- The opportunity to lead a profitable technology team that has a track record of doubling its impact and revenue each year
- The opportunity to drive growth, change and innovation within one of our core business units
- The opportunity to develop and lead experienced client delivery teams of talented and passionate professionals across projects in the UK, North America and EMEA
- The opportunity to shape a consultancy service at the cutting edge of digital innovation, using technologies such as Salesforce
- The opportunity to build on established relationships with world leading charities such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Rhodes Trust and Citizens Advice, and the opportunity to create many more
- The opportunity to enjoy and thrive in a role that drives high social and environmental impact
- The opportunity to be a thought leader through spoken and written work by representing Lightful's work in the growing Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance (ESG) and #techforgood space
What is the vision for the business that you will develop?
- To create a business that is an inspiring innovation hub within the nonprofit sector
- To create a business that puts user experience, user adoption, delight and impact at its core
- To create a business that values entrepreneurship, ambition and fun within the team
- To create a business that thrives on a fast pace of working, autonomy, and change
- To create a business that delivers excellence across all Lightful Solutions projects whilst ensuring client satisfaction and impact
At Lightful, we believe that those doing the greatest good deserve the best technology.
We’re passionate about making the best technology accessible to charities and nonprofits. Our products and solutions help organisations unleash the power of technology and make the good work they do even greater. Our products and services are designed to simplify the work and amplify the impact of charities and nonprofits.
In 2015, Lightful was launched by Vinay Nair, Johnny Murnane and Carlos Miranda. Three friends who all had different exposure to the nonprofit sector, they all realised the same thing - nonprofits were not getting the technology they deserve.
Before evolving into Lightful (pre-2015), we were a YouTube certified multi-channel network (MCN) known as Thunderboom. Our original intention was to help charities and nonprofits of all shapes and sizes monetise their video content.
Things changed - as they do - and we eventually pivoted. We left our MCN ambitions behind, and we launched our now award-winning Lightful Social Platform. At that time, the company became known as Lightful.
From there we grew our consultancy services - now Lightful Solutions - and developed a comprehensive 12-month course to equip charities with the digital skills and capabilities they need to become more resilient - Lightful Learning's BRIDGE programme.
As a certified B Corp, we’re a values-led organisation, and our values are integral to the Lightful culture. Our Lightful values are:
- To act with audacity while remembering humility
- To understand the importance of both listening and leadership
- To practice generosity whilst showing accountability
- These all lay on the foundation of respect and integrity
Our business units
We offer three services to charities and nonprofits; Lightful Products, Lightful Learning and Lightful Solutions. Each business unit is different but highly interconnected, designed for the different needs of the social and environmental-focused organisations we’re proud to serve and work with.
Lightful Products helps drive organisations forward with ready made software such as:
- Lightful Fundraising Pages, fully customisable and branded to clients look and feel, to enable clients create engaging experiences that drive donations
- Lightful Social Platform, the #1 social media tool for charities, it helps charities schedule social media content, increase engagement and save time
- Lightful Components, a toolkit of adaptable components designed to build flexible, design-driven online communities
Lightful Learning helps our partners master real world skills through a combination of tools and support, building their confidence and resilience. It was designed to grow digital skills and increase effectiveness within the nonprofit sector.
Building resilience in digital growth and engagement (BRIDGE) is Lightful Learning's flagship programme for impact organisations looking to future-proof their operations at a time of great change. It combines a learning syllabus, delivered through a combination of live and recorded sessions and webinars, with the Lightful Social Platform. BRIDGE is supported by foundations and other funders, and offered to small-to-medium sized charities that they support.
Lightful Solutions has been a Salesforce Partner since 2017 and has worked on almost 100 projects with over 50 clients. Our team has 27 members, including user researchers, UX designers, UI designers, developers, architects, administrators, business analysts and project managers. We have more than 60 Salesforce certifications across our team and more than 175 combined years of Salesforce consultancy experience specialising in:
online communities, digital transformation, digital strategy, CRM support, digital fundraising, and Scoping and Solution Design (SSD).
Our design and development process is as follows:
- Identify - Understanding the client’s ambitions, challenges and pain points to let us identify tailored approaches and opportunities
- Imagine - Our human-centred design process keeps user experience at the front and centre of how we deliver a client’s impact goals
- Implement - We build and implement custom solutions using agile methodologies and close collaboration to ensure smooth delivery and transition
We have designed processes and large-scale implementations for major projects with significant cost and efficiency implications for organisations such as The Rhodes Trust, the European Society of Cardiology, the Esmée Fairbairn Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Atlantic Fellows, The Big Give, Frontline, Independent Age, Schmidt Fellows and Save the Children UK.
What does the role involve?
- Alongside our Co-Founders, MD of Lightful Products and MD of Lightful Learning, you will influence the long term direction, profitability and impact of the Lightful business
- Lead delivery to drive rapid and exponential growth of our Lightful Solutions business unit
- Create and execute the business strategy for Lightful Solutions
- Orchestrate and deliver year on year revenue growth for your business unit, ensuring revenue targets are achieved monthly
- Ensure excellence is delivered across all Lightful Solutions projects whilst ensuring very high client satisfaction and impact
- Responsible for ensuring that every Lightful Solutions proposal is feasible and viable within the team through working with the Business Development team, meeting potential new clients during the RFP processes, signing off on all proposals
- Form an excellent working relationship with our two other Managing Directors - all three of our business units align and should be optimised to create and execute mutually beneficial business development opportunities
- Lead on initial project meetings to explain Lightful’s approach to digital transformation, emphatically understanding users' needs, and advising on how to achieve the best results for each and every client
- Lead the delivery of Lightful Solutions strategic plan to meet revenue targets, produce work that delivers impact for happy clients, increase delivery robustness, and have standout quality through structure and clear standards
- Manage a growing team of 21 talented employees ranging from Salesforce Administrators, Technical and Solutions Architects, Developers, and Project Managers in addition to a non-permanent team of 6-10 contractors
- Motivate, advise and provide structure to Lightful Solutions team to meet objectives and manage own development goals within team
- Harness creativity and new ideas within the team and ensure structure for success
- At least 5 years of experience of running large internal teams (between 20-50 people)
- At least 5 years of experience of running successful client projects at Associate Partner equivalent level or above
- A history of managing successful consulting and technical projects from end-to-end, including CRM (particularly Salesforce) implementation projects
- Knowledge and expertise on winning and delivering 6 and 7 figure business contracts
- Experience working with, and passion for, nonprofit and/or public sector clients
- You will have a network of leaders across the nonprofit sector in the UK, EMEA and globally
- Strong technical and development understanding and capabilities
- Experience managing large, medium and small Salesforce digital transformation projects
- Experience meeting client deadlines and expectations within Agile development environments
- You have a high level of emotional intelligence and an ability to demonstrate empathy with Lightful colleagues and clients
- You are a very strong communicator
- You have exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills and embody Lightful’s foundational principles of respect and integrity
- You are equally comfortable addressing people with various levels of technical knowledge
- You are a proven analytical thinker
- You have the ability to support your direct reports and other team members in building solutions and providing both technical and non-technical mentoring and guidance
- You are able to work in a highly collaborative environment, taking the initiative where necessary
- You are open to new ideas and enjoy coaching and mentoring others to get the best out of them
- Eligible to work in the UK without the need of visa support/sponsorship
You will be a part of our exciting culture that fosters personal growth and development. As we expand, you will be given the opportunity to thrive in a close-knit team environment.
- Highly competitive salary
- Stock options
- Holiday entitlement is 27 days per annum, plus bank holidays, your birthday off and a day off for moving (once a year)
- Working from home buddy to integrate you into the team
- Simply Health (claim back money on everyday healthcare costs and access to face to face counselling)
- Access to a variety of wellbeing apps
- Regular events e.g. quiz, cook-along, social drinks, summer party, Christmas party
- Lunch & Learn sessions
- Training and development plans
- Volunteering opportunities
- Cycle to work scheme
- Paid parental leave and nursery benefit
- Lightful kids events
Inclusion of a diverse range of opinions and perspectives is core to Lightful’s open culture and ongoing success. Therefore we never discriminate on age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
*No recruitment agency requests please* *We only work with direct applicants*
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.