About The Role
We are looking for a Support Worker to join our North Somerset team, working with clients in the Weston-super-Mare area. Are you prepared to go the extra mile to ensure a positive outcome for your clients? If you are, then we want to hear from you.
You will be working with people with low support needs age 18-30 years old who are impacted or threatened by homelessness. This could include single people, pregnant or small families. The support will be tenancy sustainment and will help the client to achieve their goals and aspirations and move on with skills to be independent in managing on their own. We are very proud of our services and helping clients is at the heart of everything we do.
You work closely with other agencies around specific needs including mental health and DV, private letting agents and landlords and/or others.
You will be helping clients to manage their tenancy including housing management, working with benefits (housing benefits, universal credits, PIP and other), budgeting and exploring options around education, training and employment. You will write support plans and assess risk, and will be engaging with other professionals, working towards moving your clients on from temporary accommodation.
This can be a challenging role at times as you will be working with clients who have a range of difficult and challenging issues / behaviours but if you are motivated to make a positive contribution to the lives of our clients and have a “can do” approach to your work, it is an incredibly rewarding role. Experience in a similar role would be great, but it is more important to have a passion for helping people in the local community.
Due to the nature of this role, a full valid driving licence and access to a suitable vehicle is essential.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups and expect all colleagues to share this commitment. Appointment to the post will be subject to a satisfactory enhanced check via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
About The Candidate
To be considered for this role you will:
- Have an understanding or experience, of issues surrounding homelessness and good awareness of associated risks this may bring such as alcohol and substance misuse, mental health, self-harm, offending behaviour.
- Have understanding or experience of debt management and of welfare and housing benefits.
- Be resilient with the ability to be open and responsive to the challenging needs of clients and commissioners of the service.
- Be able to take ownership and responsibility for a caseload, motivate and engage clients using the service and their pathway to independence.
- Be able communicate on different levels both verbally and in writing and be able to ‘think on the spot’ when reacting to difficult situations.
- Be committed to LiveWest values and bring enthusiasm and willingness within all aspects of the role and service.
- Have good IT skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have empathy and understanding of the needs of clients who are experiencing homelessness and the barriers they face.
- Be able to build network effectively to source accommodation options and opportunities for clients.
- Have an understanding, or experience, of lone working.
- Understand the impact of trauma and can show us you have experience of or the ability to provide high-quality support whilst managing challenging situations.
- Understand the importance of working within equal opportunities, safeguarding and confidentiality guidelines.
The most important part of this role is to have pride in your work and have a positive attitude, a proactive approach and the confidence to support a diverse range of people. You will be able to balance your passion and commitment with good organisational skills, and the ability to maintain appropriate boundaries.
In return, we provide a generous entitlement to paid holiday increasing with length of service, a pension scheme, a healthcare cash back plan, and great opportunities and support to develop your career.
About The Company
At LiveWest, we believe in a home for everyone. We own and manage over 37,000 homes across the South West, from Cornwall to Gloucestershire.
We take the time to listen to, understand and learn from our customers. We focus on thriving as a business and employer, so we can deliver more homes and even better services.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all colleagues. For further information about our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy, please visit our website.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.